Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Politics make people UGLY




I used to enjoy political discussions. Now, you can't say a thing, without someone jumping down your throat.

Yesterday, we went out to dinner at a local buffet place. I was still feeling sore and didn't feel like entertaining. My step-daughter Char joined us. We were sitting in a booth and my husband started talking about the President when all of a sudden the man in the next booth, who was eavesdropping, shared his two cents which were totally the opposite of my husbands. Basically, the man just butted in.

OH GREAT! The husband and I agree only 50% of the time when it comes to politics.

My husband, who is no shrinking violet, rose to the occasion - defensively. The other man stood his ground and kept repeating to my husband his point of view, pushing all my husband's buttons. While I may have agreed with the man, he was totally out of line. He entered "our space" and was belligerent. I tried to be the peacemaker but to no avail. My husband said what he needed to say to the man and walked out. The other man, in the booth, just laughed, continuing with his mantra.

My husband is a retired veteran. He has some PTSD. I was afraid, he would hit the man. But he has learned to walk away.  I can see, where this could have escalated if my husband hadn't.

What have we all become? I've never seen anything like this, in my 63 years. EVERYONE EVERYWHERE is talking about the current political scene. Right or Left, enough is enough, with the arguing and mean-spirited jesting. I fear, it could lead to violence, with the wrong person.

I'm so done with it all. Never ever, have I been so disgusted with Washington and both sides of the aisle. To get my political fix, I am involving myself with local politics - I can be a voice that is actually heard.

I don't want to be an ugly person as I grow older. I don't want to be a bitter babe. I am trying to hold to my 60's roots - Love and Peace. Live and Let Live, Do not hate, Meditate and Radiate Positive Vibes.


19 comments:

  1. Gotta love the nerve of the eavesdropper, "I know you weren't speaking to me, but if you want to know what I think..."

    Holy moly!

    I am going to start carrying skis and beer with me everywhere so I can pretend I'm Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I think it was good that your husband eventually walked away. Shows sign of maturity. Sometimes we simply don't agree with the other person, but we have to find a way to get through to people without violence. I love your "love and peace, do not hate" philosophy. Always keep that, my dear. And what a great reminder to hear today.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT was that or he would of punched him in the face

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry that happened to you, Char and your husband. That was an aggressive person. My dad said, you have to have float. Which meant, we all needed to be able to get over someone else's opinion.
    Like we all know what is going on in Washington. Washington politics are on a scale we could only imagine being able to trace the origins and conclusions. Except for healthcare, I think there is a lot more cooperation between politicians than we know. I know one bill passed 98-2 which limited some of the President's powers over the military last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm done with it all - I am now concentrating more on State and local politics.

      Delete
  4. Several years ago two of my friends and I were having dinner. We were all elected officials and were discussing the upcoming local election. This woman at the next table got up and came over and gave us a piece of her mind, letting us know we had no idea what we were talking about. Lots of know it alls in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The NERVE of people....

      Delete
  5. I refuse to comment on politics, it is ridiculous it is scary, I am done, so much that I will not even vote ever again.

    I could be wrong, but from what I see lately, my guess is the eves-dropper was a "Love trumps hate" hypocrite. Either way he was way wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Mr Cranky

      Delete
  6. I learned a long time ago not to talk politics or try to influence someone else's religious beliefs; especially by leaving comments on people's blogs. Too bad that guy at the restaurant hadn't learned such a lesson and a potential enjoyable time for you and yours was ruined.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now days you cannot have a civil conversation with anyone.

      Delete
  7. I agree. I do not say anything about politics anymore, period. I'm not afraid to defend my views, it just seems that it is pointless because you never know if you are going to enter into a civilized discussion or an asinine argument where both sides turn defensive. I've been surprised by how some typically level-headed people have become absolutely closed-minded in the last 3 years. People from ALL points of view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you

      Delete
  8. It is too bad we can't all have our own opinions and still get along!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see it getting any better either

      Delete
  9. The president's rudeness encourages his followers to behave in the same way. I don't talk about politics in public. It's dangerous.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very dangerous. Years ago, when my son was in the Navy, I had a PROUD NAVY MOM sticker on my car. Some maniac threw a coke can at me, while driving and yelled that my kid was a baby-killer. Bumper stickers out not good either.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts