Sunday, July 16, 2017

My Happy Place

Laydee on a small patch of snow



California had a historic winter - we still are dealing with a heavy snow pack in our high country. Snow skiing at Squall Valley - Yosemite still has roads closed and "my" National Park, that I live just 40 miles to the West - have roads closed at both ends. You can get about 10 miles on both sides and then you have to turn around due to heavy snow.

Yesterday we drove up to have a picnic and take Laydee to the snow. Where we parked, it was free of snow- just a few patches. We had to hike up a bit to see the massive snow pack.



Road closed!

They hope to have it cleared by the end of July.

If we really hustled, we could very easily play in the snow at morning and watch the sunset on the beach on the same day. It's a bit harder now because there is one major road that kept getting washed out, during the rains - in Humboldt County. So, it takes a while now, just to get through - down to one lane.

Spring in July. Near Summit Lake 6700 ft elevation


It was pleasant though, to sit among the trees- watching the deer feed. Listening to the trees sway in the breeze and the sound of a woodpecker at a distance. For me, there is nothing like the forest! It is my happy place or at least one of my happy places. Funny, because I grew up just a mile and a half from the beach. I love the ocean and the beach but I like lonely beaches - not crammed packed with people. Where is the serenity in that?


Tree uprooted from the winter

The white trees are dead trees singed from a past forest fire.

No one around! That's one thing when you go to the mountains -most people are on the move -hiking and exploring. They are not congesting any one area like a popular beach will. Everyone wants to be left alone to commune with nature.

We found this swampy meadow still drying out. Wildflowers just starting to bloom as if it is Spring. Just a month ago, this area was covered in snow. My husband and I always dream and play, "What if?"

What if we owned all this mountain property - what would it look like? Well, I'd rescue a lot of dogs and cats, and cows and horses - I'd have chickens and mules and donkeys and I want a burro.

My parents used to own a home and property in the mountains - but the heavy snows and the fact that my dad's snow blower always was in repair when he needed it - they moved down to the valley floor. So I inherited the valley house. I do sometimes wish, they still had that mountain home, surrounded by the big trees and all.

We are fortunate. Just a few miles east and we start climbing towards the mountains. Same when we drive north (toward Mt Shasta and West through the Trinity Alps. So while I may not "live among the trees" - they are very close for us to enjoy year round.


5 comments:

  1. We had very little snow here in Michigan last year. I am hoping for the same this winter. Sometimes I think it would be nice to live miles away from anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could do it, as long as I had internet and a car.

      Delete
  2. The forest is my happy place too, Debby. You live in such a beautiful area. I didn't realize you aren't that far from Mt. Shasta. When I took the road trip this year, we almost drove to Shasta. Yes, the ocean with not too many people, I hear ya!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I love it here.

      Delete
  3. We all need a happy place although some of us at time find our happy place hiding,your happy place is a nice one, just saying

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts