Thursday, July 27, 2017

Listen to the Music




There are some who sing to the music and others who listen. I like to sing at times - mostly I love to really listen to the music. Especially good music - I like to focus on the instruments - bass guitar, rhythm guitar, drums, piano - some backgrounds have orchestras and I love to try and listen to just that. Or if the singer is especially gifted, I enjoy hearing THEIR voice - not mine or yours!

Then there are the ones who love to sing to the music. Fine and dandy if you are the only one, listening to it. I don't want to listen to someone else,  slaughter a really good song, just because they want to sing to it. Most people believe they have a better singing voice than they really do. I mean, look at American Idol?  My ex-husband thought he had such a good voice. He was ALWAYS singing to the radio. The louder I would turn up the volume, the louder he sang!  Finally, I had to just be rude and tell him, "I want to hear so-in-so sing, not you."

Drives me nuts.

My step daughter, Char does this. She sings really loud and I can't even decipher the song or the voice. I've told her - she doesn't get offended- she just forgets and says with a smile, "Oh Mom"

When I am alone, yeah, I'll sing to my heart's content but it's for my ears ONLY.

Years ago - when I was in the 4th grade our class was singing in a program at school. I loved to sing and would sing very loud and proud. The teacher came up to me just before we went on, to tell me to just "mouth the words." It crushed my spirit. For years, I wouldn't let anyone hear me sing.

Maybe that is why I am so annoyed by loud singers.


9 comments:

  1. I keep my singing to myself in my basement lair when practicing guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told I was a bad singer as a preteen. I have a low voice and I think that is why I agreed and gave up so quickly. I did not have the high pitch of my friends and conformity is everything at that time of your life.

    You have hit my pet peeve. But mine is bigger. I go to a concert and the turkey beside me sings along. I always sit next to this bozo. I would think the universe is against me. But, I think it is liquor. At the Georgia State Fair, they don't allow alcohol. I sat through many arena concerts that were enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am not alone in this pet peeve.

      Delete
  3. That teacher could have been a little kinder to you. What was she thinking with the "advice" given? I have a terrible singing voice. I know it. Tone deaf. Off key (married to a musician, opposites attract). I do try to sing somewhat quietly at church it there are a lot of people around me. I sing really loud at home alone :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was back when teachers just told it like it was. Yes, she could of been kinder.

      Delete
  4. I once vacationed with my sister. It was a road trip. She insisted on singing along with whatever was on the radio. I finally told her that if she didn't shut up I was going to leave her on the side of the road. Yeah, it was that bad! I studied voice for several years, but usually only sing in the shower.

    I still remember a Kenny Rogers Concert where he was singing 'Lucille'. The audience started singing along and he put down the mike and let them have at it. I did not pay money to listen to the audience and they shut up after he quit singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhhhh so I am not the only one. lol

      Delete
  5. I love listening to the music too, and I remember this song. Love it! Thanks for sharing it again. Going through a family issue, and so needed to hear the music today. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts