Sunday, July 09, 2017

And then there is my Father-in-law




He is 91 and lives at the Veteran Home.  He is as $TUBBORN as all get out.

My husband handles all his financial needs. One thing we are having difficulty with him -  He's a $ucker for $weep$takes, contest$, and downright $cams. When he receives notification that he has won a car or a million dollars, he phones us with the exciting news. HoHum. He also $igns the back of those checks, which obligate him to whatever it is, they are offering. The Veteran Home throughout the year offer workshops for the residents - to learn how to prevent the scams.   My father-in-law always forgets his hearing aids! Grrrrrrrrrr.

He gets every mail-order catalog ever published - and he enjoys $hopping...A LOT!  He makes these purchases; the Bradford Exchange,  where they send him a new package every month. He loves it. However, he forgets that he has to PAY for this every month. Oh gosh, books and magazines, as well.

My husband has to keep close tabs on his account for fear that his account would get overdrawn and he would not be able to pay his rent. He's had his telephone turned off twice for lack of payment. That's when my husband had to take over. He leaves just enough in his bank account so that the automatic payments go through. The rest of it, he places in an account, at the Veteran Home, so that my father-in-law can have access anytime he wants. You have to be careful when dealing with an elder parents money. They get really angry if they believe you are keeping them from their money. 

My husband pays the rent - the rest automatically gets dispersed to his various creditors and the rest is for him. He wastes so much money. (his money)  Sometimes, halfway through the month, he is broke. My husband just has to tell him,

"Oh well, Dad"

We could set him up with the rent being automatically paid, but my father-in-law doesn't trust it.

We do enjoy him but overseeing his monthly finances can be a chore.




10 comments:

  1. Has he become more trusting over time or would these sweepstakes appealed to him at any time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he is a sucker for them. I don't know if he has always fallen for such scams.

      Delete
  2. Those that "legally" pray on and scam the elderly deserve a special place in hell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple who were neighbors of my family growing up could be seen doing the lottery several times a day when they were alive.
    I hate to admit that I filter the mail. More so to reduce stress for my mother. She will get odd bills from a doctor for say $5 or $10 and it upsets her. She doesn't owe them anything. She wants to discuss the matter. I just pay them. I feel disrespectful; but $5 is a bargain to not have to get the matter corrected. Besides, it is a legitimate if not stupid bill. I say stupid in that I'm sure they pay more than $5 processing the bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my husband tries to get to his mail before he does.

      Delete
  4. He looks great for 91 years old! Always a balancing act to provide for his needs, but making sure he is not being taken advantage of.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. He doesn't make that much- and it is his money to do with what he wants but sometimes he does get into situations where we have to rescue him.

      Delete
  5. Yes it can be a task and a half overseeing someone else's money but often these things need to be done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes because one scam begets more scams.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts