Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Summertime HOT

Sacramento River


I live in the far northern part of California's Central Valley. We have HOT and dry summers. Since I live at the very end, mountains surround the valley on all three sides. The Hot air gets trapped here- it's like a 3 sided bowl or like a horseshoe. We are having a hot spell- 113 yesterday. Possibly 117 on Thursday. The hottest I have experienced here was 123 back in the 70's when I came up to visit my parents when they moved from our coastal town in the Bay area. We helped them move and I hadn't felt such heat, since Needles, Ca. I was miserable back then and swore up one side and down the other, I would NEVER move up here. Advice: Never Swear! and Never say Never! 

Before my mom passed in 2008, we were sick of the hustle and bustle of urban life on the San Francisco Peninsula and were plotting to eventually leave for a more serene, rural place. My sister and I inherited the house - I bought my sister out, and we moved to this semi-rural part of Shasta County. We had actually considered Alaska.

That first summer here was a real eye opener. I was used to the cool, ocean and bay breezes in summer. Oh and that infamous summer fog. (San Francisco's natural air-conditioning) I soon found that if I do everything I need to do in the morning, and literally "chilled" inside in the afternoon, it was bearable.  Surprisingly, I grew to really love it here, HOT weather and all. Our HOT weather comes with very low humidity- 10% or less and there is still a lot of snow on Mt Shasta and Mt Lassen.

I am swimming every morning - it's absolutely beautiful. The HOT dry weather is good for my aching bones. I live with chronic pain every day and have for years. I still ache, but not like I do in the winter, or down in the bay area. Swimming really helps, as a pain reliever. So while the extreme heat is HOT, I am enjoying some low pain days. I could totally live in Arizona.

It's still early in the season, so I don't complain much. In fact, I find the more I complain about the heat, the hotter it seems to get. My complaining usually starts mid-August. By then, I am sick of it. It usually takes another 6 weeks for it to cool down.



Summer for California doesn't start until 9:24 PM (PST) tonight. Happy Summer. Enjoy.

15 comments:

  1. Hot climate people. The heat gets next to you but not as fast as too many cold days in February.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like hot weather, but not broiling! 117 is more than I could handle, except maybe if it made my joints not ache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 117 you don't even feel your joints

      Delete
  3. GASP. It is a fairytale land...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll see your hot and dry 111's and 117's and raise you a hot, muggy 90% humidity 92 degree high with a heat index near 105! Gotta love the Texas Gulf Coast! Sweating does no good, as it can't evaporate.
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Thank You. I've been in that kind of hot and muggy and I don't do well.

      Delete
  5. We lived in San Diego area where it would cool down at night and you would need a sweater if you were going to be out after the sun went down. Then we moved to Medford, Oregon and it was summertime. Hot days. I was so surprised that it didn't cool down at night until I realized we weren't by the ocean.

    We're in Phoenix now. 119 degrees today. Last year around this time it was 123 degrees. This is our second summer here and I can tell you that I am able to tolerate the heat more this summer than last year. I actually thought 105 a week or so ago wasn't that bad. We had 3% humidity the other day. We run humidifiers otherwise we were constantly getting shocked when we touched things.

    I love the fact that this past winter I didn't need to have a lot of covers on the bed and didn't have to wear a sweatshirt and a tee shirt under it to stay warm. Sometimes it is good to be cold blooded, especially if living in Phoenix.

    Stay as cool as you can and hydrate often as you know!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was stationed in San Diego. I know about living on the coast...it's nice and breezy. I have out-laws living in Medford...actually Eaglepoint. Medford is not that far from us.

      Delete
  6. I can take heat without humidity any time as I have asthma . My husband likes cold temps so I am kind of stuck here in New Your.

    Your photography is excellent. It makes me want to move to California. I hope that your aches and pains go away. I am glad that swimming is helping. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Munir. The swimming is awesome. You take care, too Hon.

      Delete
  7. I do not like winter in Michigan nor does my arthritis. OTOH, I cannot take the heat either and these hives may be from sun allergy. I know several folk who love the heat, but while my arthritis is definitely better, the allergies get worse. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, there's no winning on that.

      Michigan is so pretty though. I don't understand why the rest of the country does not know about all the outdoor recreation and just plain beauty of Michigan.

      Delete
  8. Hot summers are common here and what feels like cold winters but in truth our winters are not that cold they just feel cold but compared to some places our winters are quiet nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't get snow there right? We don't here either - well maybe once every other year, we'll have a dusting. We love it when it snows. It's a major event.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts