Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Speaking of neighbors...


The other fence that did get replaced.


Why do fences, always get good neighbors all pink and pushed in? Just the mention of it...

On the other side of us, are my favorite neighbors. Young family with 2 girls, one high school and the other in middle school. The dad goes fishing on the Sacramento river every Monday - He does tend to be cheap...even his wife says so!

A couple of years ago, our "good-neighbor" side fence needed to be replaced.  So we had to go in together for a new fence. Being nice, people as we are, we allowed him to pick the fence guy, all because the guy would use screws, instead of nails. 1 year later, the fence is starting to fall apart. It can be patched, here and there. His dogs like to chew at the bottom fence boards through to our side. So we keep patching our side.

Now, we have 3 sections of fence, that actually should have been included with the original fencing replacement but our neighbor did not want to do it ($$$$$) so we let it go. NOW the fence is about to fall.

The neighbor had just gotten back from 2 glorious weeks in Hawaii. He also had just been visited by his black neighbor, about their shared, "good-neighbor-fence. His share about $1000.00

ENTER the husband who was not aware of this other fence.

Neighbor got really upset - and told my husband that it was our problem, not his. My husband, said in a calm but forceful way, "NO it is OUR PROBLEM. We share the fence." The neighbor said he would give it some thought.

I believe they parted semi-friendly - no huge hard feelings. I just hate conflict.

So, the husband went to Home Depot and basically did a mickey-mouse fix-it-job, until next year. If we don't have any strong winds, it should hold up until next year.

To be continued....




15 comments:

  1. I have experienced this as well, I ponied up for a fence that did not yet need replacing, but figured the neighbor relation was worth more than the extra expense. On the other side the neighbor was a nut job. We put up a fence on our own without consulting them...had to be absolutely sure the fence was a few inches on our side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say, "Good fences make good neighbors." We do it to keep the peace.

      Delete
  2. When we moved to our present house a little over a year ago, I think the backyard had the original fencing from when the house was built in 1978. In terrible repair. We decided we wanted a cement block wall fence and we would pay for it ourselves if our neighbors didn't want to. We had researched and saw that as long as we placed the fence on our property line there should be no problem from other surrounding properties, but that it was in our best interest to notify each of the neighbors it impacted to let them know our plan. We had three neighbors that we had to approach and tell them our plans. One neighbor was thrilled that we were doing it. Her word "awesome". She made no attempt to pay for her half of that wall. The second neighbor said he had been thinking for years of doing a cement wall so he was glad someone was taking action. He offered to pay his half (and he did). The third neighbor, after not being home the first time we attempted to go over and then the 2nd time when caught him at home didn't want to open the door since it was nighttime, but finally did when hubby said who we were) was a very nice family. Glad the fence was going to be replaced, but made no offer to help pay their 1/2. (we didn't care, we were going to replace it all if no one wanted to go in with us on it). Long story short, the 3rd neighbor mentioned now is selling their house. Saw they recently replaced the rest of their fence that didn't affect us by wood, not cement. I'm sure to help increase property value. The neighbor who said "awesome" there is a bit of fence that impacts them more than us that we didn't replace originally. We thought we might finish it off this year but then saw that it really didn't impact our privacy so decided not to. If the fence blows down, etc., it won't change anything really for us, more for them. I'm just glad that likely in our lifetime the fence won't have to be dealt with again.

    good luck with yours!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told my husband, if I won the lottery, I would put in a cement fence.

      Delete
  3. That's why my daddy set his fences inside the property line by three inches on three sides...he bought it, no one could tie to it or even prop a hoe against it. Now he decided on what fence he wanted, got a quote, and then took the quote to each neighbor and told them if they went in half, he'd put it on the line, if not he'd set it inside. Only the neighbor in the back went in with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that a lot. Double fences...

      Delete
  4. I have that same fence problem with a neighbor as I have blogged about in the past. BUT, he has a pool, so the fence is his cost not mine. It is homemade and ugly. But if I were to put up one to match my own fence, then he would take his down and rely on mine for protection. NOt gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That makes me grateful we don't have any fences. We tend to have great relationships with our neighbors, but my son didn't clean up some yard waste the other day, and I caught our neighbor out there sweeping it up for us, a bit disgruntled. I'm with you. Conflict is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fences cause so many problems with neighbours see people on the telly all the time, because we rent this is not a problem we have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good. I miss the old renting days - home ownership is not what it is all cracked up to be.

      Delete
  7. I know what you mean.....the mention of fences to neighbors always gets them in a huff. Maybe it's because it's a joint fence, and neighbors don't always agree on things. That was good of your husband to fix the fence. I hope it holds up this winter. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts