Friday, June 09, 2017

Just saying...


Lassen Volcanic National Park June 23, 2013


One of my pet peeves is when we have a weather event, and people say,

"Wierd weather we are having." 
 "Crazy weather." 

Not really. It all normal.

A winter-like rain has come to California and it's even brought snow to the mountains. It's not a summer-like rain - it's cold. It will blow through and we'll be back into the high 90's by Monday. It's NOT unusual.

"Wierd weather we are having." 
 "Crazy weather." 

I have a good memory when it comes to weather. My dad was a painting contractor in San Francisco. We always looked at the weather; in the newspaper and on the news. The weather determined if my dad worked or didn't. He was a Commerical painting contractor and mostly did exteriors but would line up interior work, for the rainy season. In San Francisco, summers mean, pea soup fog. WET, drippy and could ruin a new paint. So yes, we always looked at the weather.

Mostly the ones who make the comments, are the young people - they have no memories of the past. Of course, the media, always make every storm a "major event."

"Wierd weather we are having." 
 "Crazy weather." 

I have a gardening journal from my great great aunt. She lived in Ohio. In this journal, she would mention the weather and about tilling the ground so she could get her tomatoes in. She also used to do laundry for people. In her journal, she would mention, how she needed to get the clothes off the line before they freeze. She wrote over a few years - always mentioning the weather. This was in the early 1920's in a small town, Arcanum, Ohio.

Manzanita Lake in Lassen Volcanic National Park- June 23, 2013


I remember two June weather events. One was in the late 80's - We were camping at Sequoia National Park and it snowed. Another June, about 5 years ago, we were camping up at Lassen National Park and it snowed, and rained and hailed all in one day! We had to take shelter in our vehicle one evening and listened to a ball game on the car radio!

"Wierd weather we are having." 
 "Crazy weather." 

Technically it is NOT summer yet. It is still spring and I was always taught that spring and fall were transitional seasons. They go back and forth until they settle in. 

In the book, Up and Down California - in 1860-1864: The Journal of William H. Brewer - he mentions the weather. He was from the east coast and therefore, was amazed at all of California's different climates. There were droughts back then - terrible, dust bowl type droughts. He mentions the mudslides, extreme heat, and forest fires. Back then, they had no choice, but to let them burn. The central valley was always smoky and with the lack of summer rains, they wouldn't die down, until the first of the winter rains, settled in. All normal, here in California.

"Wierd weather we are having." 
 "Crazy weather." 

I have letters from my Grandma, from the 60's and 70's,  who lived in Tennessee. She always mentioned the weather in her letters. About the ground being frozen and it was too early to start the garden. Or that it was hot and muggy. Or the occasional tornado, that would rip through Tennessee. It was a given. Nothing unusual -just a matter of where she lived.

I don't know, maybe my family is strange - even as I write this post, my local weather is on. More sprinkles...I'm loving it and I don't have to water my lawns.












12 comments:

  1. Be careful, you will be labeled a "Climate Change Denier!"

    I believe the weather is very strange, storms are getting worse and it just keeps getting hotter and hotter, now excuse me while I goose step outta here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I do believe we are showing signs of climate change. I just don't believe every event is attributed to it.

      As for being called a "climate change denier" - I am just cynical, sceptical me on just abut everything.

      Delete
  2. I agree about normal fluctuations in weather. People don't live in one place long enough to know the normal weather patterns.
    That said, we may live long enough to see those patterns change. Global warming is like 2 degrees higher year-round that is not always noticeable. We did not have a winter this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, be it may, I don't really believe there is much we can do about it. Where I live, we've always had 110+ summers and a good rainy season, like we were blessed this year. I will admit, it does seem like the east coast and midwest, don't get the snow and winter like they used to. I remember watching the news of the snow storms etc back there, always happy that I lived in the west.

      Delete
  3. Even though I know the weather we are having is probably normal, I still comment that it is weird weather we are having!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, ahhhhhhhh so you are one of those!!! That's okay, I like you anyway. You have a great weekend also, my dear!

      Delete
  4. We've gotten some delightful rain this week. Yesterday the high was 71. Franklin and I got out for a long walk when the rain stopped.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the pictures you posted here! All I know about the weather is any time we move into a new area, the area experiences a drought for several years (proven over several states we moved to over an expanded period of time). We used to joke if people complained about too much rain, move us there. It would be taken care of with then lack of rain :) Weirdest weather was the 6 inches of snow the Thursday before Memorial Day one year. Melted within hours and the 49 degrees for the high one Fourth of July there. Weather is weather. Something for us to gripe about, complain about, or comment about how wonderful it is. Good conversation starter too :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah - I always ask family in other states, how's the weather!

      Delete
  6. If you live in Michigan and you don't like the weather, wait a minute. We had rain, sun and thunderstorms yesterday and now we are headed into a few days of 90+ weather before cooling back down. It is what it is and nothing weird about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that about Michigan.

      Delete
  7. I think most love when the rain comes in California for a day or so in the summer cause it gets so hot here in the summers. You have a phenomenal memory, Debby. It's nice that you remember so many childhood happenings. I've just been thinking lately how much I miss camping. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts