Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Guests



The cousin messaged me after a few days of silence and told me they are rethinking this. The flight from Ohio to SFO is over $500 each. Yeah, I don't believe they realized how far up north, I live now. For them, it would be similar driving to Chicago from Ohio. Or something like that.

When I go anywhere, I pay my own way. I don't EXPECT people to pick me up at the airport - simply because I have always been independent. I always rent a car. It's more fun and part of the adventure.  I don't expect people to put me up; Again, I like my independence - I like to be able to get away - and then come back when they want me to.

We have some friends, that we stay at each other's place when visiting. That is the exception. We don't stay longer than a couple of days.

It always makes me laugh when I watch House Hunters on HGTV and these families feel they have to purchase a home with 1 extra bedroom with a bath, for visiting company. They must be really nice but I suspect, the amount of that 1 extra room with bath they have mortgaged - they could of put their family up in a nice hotel.

Before the adult kids moved in (they are gone now) we did have a guest room. I mentioned it to friends in the Bay area and only 1 friend took advantage of it, twice. You have to be specific. Robert took his vacation and stayed with us. I totally agree with Ben Franklin, that house guests and fish start to smell after 3 days. We enjoyed him - for 3 days, right on schedule. After that, we were annoyed. Of course, it may have been Robert - Divorced guy, who was always looking for Ms. Right and was always wanting me to plot with him, how to find someone. He would get depressed and the husband started referring to him as Eeyore. He also took 30-minute showers every morning! and never once offered to pay for anything. His vacation cost us, our vacation!

The older I get, the more house guests ruffle my feathers. Now, this is where the husband and I are different, he enjoys it, if they are his friends. Now I do think it's fun to do group camping! Unfortunately, no one wants to do that anymore.


18 comments:

  1. I agree! Last Fall we visited relatives in South Carolina. They were appalled at the money we spent on a nice hotel and couldn't understand why we didn't just stay with them. Those 3 days we spent the day and part of the night with them, did some activities, got the 3 hour tour of their area, went to some nice restaurants and in the early evening we went back to our hotel, got some snacks, and just chilled and watched TV. It was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I don't like to stay with other people and I don't want them staying with me! A hotel wins every single time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind guests. My husband hates them. We really don't have the room. We do have a hide-a-bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always exceptions, to the house guests. But most of the ones I wouldn't mind have stay with me are now dead. My 2 best friends.

      Delete
  4. As I get older the three day rule has dropped to one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After Favorite Young Man moved out, his bedroom became a guest room. I think I had guests twice, so I made the guest room into my office. I haven't been anyone's guest in a long time. I don't like staying with people.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe in getting a motel room. We are kindred spirits in this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We intended to have a guest room in the house we bought last year, but now it houses our treadmill, so it might be a bit difficult to get a bed in there along with a dresser, etc. In reality, we haven't had house guests in years, so I could imagine even if we did have a guest room, we would not have many guests. When we visited in-laws, they always wanted us to stay with them. I could only handle about 2-3 days of being around them. We compromised hubby and me in staying a few days with them and the rest of the time in a hotel. Worth the expense to keep everyone sane. I did like when my mom came to stay for the 2 weeks she would. Probably because she was my mom :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never of had my mom stay with me that long. You must have a nice Mom.

      Delete
  8. Once we had guests visiting us for three months and eight days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a blog friend who has this sign in her guest room at her house. So funny.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep threatening to do that!

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts