Friday, June 16, 2017

Downsizing to 1 vehicle



Totaled - bent frame accident 2014 with just 3 payments to go.


Not by choice - but it does sound like the right decision. 

The other night, my husband coming home from work at 12:15 am, and the engine of his 2002 Subaru starting acting strangely and then just died. The next day, we towed it to our mechanic and came back with the verdict: needs a new engine $4700.

Paid off - totaled - bent frame


3 years ago, when my husband was hit from behind, sitting at a traffic light by some teenager on his cell - totaled our 2012 KIA that we were just 3 months from paying off. It also only had 50,000 miles on it. They cashed us out and of course, you never get enough to totally compensate the fact, that we were counting on this car for many years and worked hard, to pay it off. We were sick of making new-car payments so we took the risk and bought 2 used vehicles. The Subi was one of the 2. We knew that one was just a commuter car - round trip to my husband's work is 14 miles. My van is under 90,000 miles.

Cars are always major financial risks. Used or brand new. Frankly, I wish, we could just go back to horse and buggy! Throughout the years, we have bought brand new - and then a year or so later, someone would lose their job and we would struggle through the payments. It just never failed. Then I totaled a car back in 2011 - we had just paid off. Just seemed lately, we can not harvest the fruit from paying off our vehicles.

After a couple of days, we made the hard decision, to just junk it. The husband wanted to tow it home to sit in our driveway until we saved the money. We are trying very hard to get used, to living within our means so that when we retire in 5 years, we'll be good. We have more important things to do, in the house - next year we might have to do a back fence - that could cost us $1000 or more. A second vehicle is more a luxury than anything. He works from 4 pm to midnight so we keep different hours than most. If I need the van, I will drive him to work and pick him up at midnight. No biggie. Although, I do tend to get out and about before he leaves for work. Only a couple of times, have we enjoyed the luxury of 2 cars - other than that, my van sits in the driveway when he is at work.

If I really needed a ride - I could call my son or my step-daughter or a friend. Or if it is serious, my husband could get off work. I can also use uber, walk or take a bus. (which I really doubt but those are my options)

We'll save on gas which is almost $4. a gallon in certain parts of our town - insurance, maintenance as well as reducing our carbon footprint.

It gets towed from the mechanic on Monday to Pick and Pull for free. They will pay us, $117 which almost paid for the engine diagnostic of $127.

c'est la vie!


10 comments:

  1. Ouch! That does hurt. There is always risk with any vehicle, as even new ones can be a lemon.
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Humans have a love/hate relationship with our cars

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a plan you have to choose. I'm sorry about your car breaking down. You have to have a car to get around but maintaining and purchasing them while on a budget is killer. I can't wait to have the vehicle I have now paid for. But in the same vein, I have got to replace it soon after. I transport some fragile people and they cannot weather us being stranded. The only thing I can say about these dilemmas is that it means we are still in the game of life. No one has to take over and make decisions for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. At least our one vehicle runs well and is dependable, as we know it NOW. A month or so down the line, only God knows.

      Delete
  3. Since I work at home, 2 vehicles (especially now that the kids are grown and out of the house) seemed like a luxury because I rarely drove during the week. An errand here, an errand there. In fact, I blogged about it, but when we traded in our 1999 van last year, it only had 93,000 miles on it. Our game plan is currently we have 2 cars. One that hubby uses to commute 100 miles round trip daily. He hopes to retire in 2 years, thus when the car is about at 100,000 miles. We'll use that as our 2nd vehicle and if it "dies" it dies. We'll manage with one at that time. Our other vehicle that we traded the van in for will probably be the last vehicle we buy. Don't like the 2 car payments, but that's where we stand at least for the next several years. Got to love cars. When they work, we are happy. When they don't and cost an arm and a leg, we are not happy.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I foresee another car in our future- but for now, we have our van, no payments and we are happy.

      Delete
  4. Cars are so annoying! I love not having a car to worry about here in Beijing. We are talking about being a one-car household when we finally move back to the States - years down the road. In a metropolitan area, it shouldn't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love that! In the San Francisco bay area, one could go without a vehicle due to excellent public transportation. But if you want to go anywhere, a car is nice to have for traveling. My son, doesn't drive or own a car- he bikes everywhere or takes public transportation. Although as he nears, age 40, he is starting to think about getting a driving licence and buying a car. He bikes even during the winter rains. He is amazing with his dedication, and he'sin tip top physical shape.

      Delete
  5. can't win sometimes! Hope having one car goes ok for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts