Wednesday, May 24, 2017

#Wednesday Hodgepodge






1. What color is prominent in your home? Are you glad about that or wishing you could cover it up or remove it? 

My father was a painting contractor and you would think we would have had these beautifully colored walls throughout our home - Nope! It was white walls - he did let my sister and I have one wallpapered wall and we got to paint our walls. I had pink, my sister had yellow.

I am prone to depression - after having darker colored walls, last year we decided to just go with white. It really helped this winter rainy season! I throw around color, in art, furniture, rugs, and accessories for pops of color. The main pop of color I am using these days is seafoam green. It is throughout my home. My kitchen is the only room painted. My walls are yellow, and my cabinets are beadboard painted seafoam green. I wanted my kitchen to be fun.

 2. What's something you'll NEVER do again? 

Have babies and breastfeed. It was a beautiful time in my life. I had great pregnancies and delivery was quick and easy for me. So yeah, I wanted more children. Divorce interrupted those dreams. It was hard enough, raising 3 adolescent boys alone let alone have a 4th child or more.


 3. Tell us a couple of ways you fit the stereotypes associated with your gender, and a couple of ways you don't. 





I like shabby chic! I do not have shabby chic in my home because I live with a man, who really doesn't like it. He has said, he would be okay with it, in our bedroom but I haven't done it yet. When I divorced nearly 20 years ago, one of the first things I did, was feminized my home. I put up lace Priscilla curtains in my dining room - and bought myself a couple of winged back chairs and a small sofa. I did some stenciling. I didn't overdo it - I still had 3 sons living at home.


My Handsome Dad


Maybe it's because I adored my dad - maybe it's because my dad took me to ball games, fishing, hiking and stuff. So, I like men. I like men as friends better than some women because I like military movies, crime dramas, westerns, and sci-fi. I don't like chick flicks! I like history. I like sports. I used to watch boxing with my dad.

When we lived down in the Silicon Valley, I was very techy. I used to be pretty good at building things.  At social functions, the woman all gather in the kitchen and talk women stuff and I tend to talk to the men. I find them interesting (and nice to look at) - all at the same time. :-) (okay, so that way, I am a girly girl)  I have some annoying guy tendencies; such as I don't like to ask for directions. So I've been lost a few times!

My politically incorrect photo of me hanging out with my dad and his friend on a Friday night.

You can tell in this photo, I loved being with my dad! And yes, I can shoot a gun, shotgun and a rifle.
My dad taught me.


4. May is Motorcycle Awareness Month. Have you ever owned a motorcycle? Ever ridden a motorcycle? If the opportunity presented itself would you hop on a motorcycle and go for a ride?




You bet! My mom and dad used to own Harleys, so I was brought up with them. They were in a motorcycle club and would go for long runs up and down the state of California. After my divorce, I dated a guy (who I am still friends with) who had a Harley and we had a blast! He always said, I only liked him for his motorcycle. The leather motorcycle chaps might of had something to do with that! :-o



I'd be happy with a scooter. My wish is to purchase a vintage Vespa.

 5. If someone wanted to understand you, what should they read, watch, and listen to? 







I'm all about the 12 steps of AA or Alanon. My first husband was an alcoholic. I started attending Alanon when my first born was about 1 years old (1978) Typical alcoholic - he didn't believe he had a problem. So to keep my sanity and to quit nagging him about his drink, I decided I needed to take care of myself and basically, "screw him." He did, finally at one point, stop drinking. He was sober for 10 years but he was a DRY DRUNK and sometimes, they are even worse than dealing with a drunk.

I wouldn't take it any longer, so I packed his bags and wouldn't let him back into the house. His drinking led to a sexual addiction and he dabbled in drugs. Nope, the man had to go.

Alanon saved me. Every January,  I start with Step One and take it each month as a refresher. It improves me and my life and how I deal with others.




_____________ Please join us for the Wednesday Hodgepodge by clicking here!

6 comments:

  1. Fascinating answers, Debby! I was a daddy's girl. Watched football with him, hung out with him while he gardened or worked on the truck. - It took strength to get yourself out of that situation.
    I Saw it on Facebook at Life & Faith in Caneyhead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating answers, Debby! I was a daddy's girl. Watched football with him, hung out with him while he gardened or worked on the truck. - It took strength to get yourself out of that situation.
    I Saw it on Facebook at Life & Faith in Caneyhead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was married to an alcoholic - a brilliant engineer with patents to his name and he just wanted to drink. I stuck it out for 23 years. That being said, my living room originally had dark wallpapers, very elegant. But when I quit my job to stay home and raise my children, it was very depressing in the dark and cold Michigan winters - especially since my husband had the habit of hitting the bar before coming home, That wallpaper got switched out for off-white, but I sometimes miss that lovely palette I had back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up with brothers and there weren't many girls to play with in my neighborhood. So I was a huge tomboy. Add to that my mom and grandmother were too. It was in the blood and socialization. However, I like frills to the max. I just am happy if my house is clean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I too will never again have babies that part of my life is said and done with and that is fine with me, now...............

    My walls are a shitty light blue nearly white colour and I hate them but I am too damn lazy to change them

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaahhh, you sound like a daddy's girl, like me. I used to have talks with my dad in the garden, listen to his music, and even went hunting with him. I like the twelve steps for self care that you have on here. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts