Friday, May 26, 2017

Sick Men verses Sick Women




Hey I love the husband - he's a great guy but I noticed something about him, I never saw before. When he got that heart procedure, he milked it for 2 weeks!  I remember the Cardiologist telling me, 48 hours and then just take it easy for a day or so. NOT my husband. He chose to do absolutely nothing. The weather was rainy on and off during that time. We had some work done on our vehicles and meanwhile the grasses grew, the weeds grew and our yards became a jungle;

He did go to work after a week, but he was on "light-duty".

Last year, I started having some major pain in my gut. I used to call them my GERD attacks. One evening, I had such a bad attack, I threw up for 5 hours! It was so bad, I was throwing up stomach acid!  I did not go to emergency! One week later, I had another attack, and this time, I went to emergency and it was then, they determined my gallbladder was full of stones and needed to come out. I waited one month before I could get into surgery. I had 2 smaller attacks, that month - could not eat hardly anything. It really cramped my summer style last year!

After the surgery, I felt fantastic. We took a vacation 6 days later and I probably shouldn't have hiked so much, but I did. I was a real trouper.

Now, I realize a heart is much more important than a gallbladder. But they only gave him a local and he was awake through the whole procedure. Yes, he had a small incision near his groin. With me, they knocked me out and took out the gallbladder which burst upon removal. I had 3 small incisions on my stomach and 1 through my naval. Just saying...

So now we are playing catch up on the yards - when I go out to do errands and come back, he's done nothing - always making an excuse. He never was like that before. Of course, he's never been 60 years old before either. I get, that he needs to slow down, and I hate to be thinking negative but...
 is he milking this???? 

He just told me he needs to take a day, to do some hiking.

I'm nice- but I'm not dumb. I'm calling around to get some bids on a gardening service to come and do a one time, major yard clean up. It's gonna CO$T him.




13 comments:

  1. Men get sick and lie down and prepare to die. Women get sick and keep going till they fall down. Then they get up and go some more.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear things like this all the time! My husband is the opposite, however. He occasionally complained about his shoulder - injured in his youth, but only when it was so bad he couldn't raise his arm and had to use one hand to pull his shirt on very gently. His hands would swell to the point he couldn't make a fist, but he only complained that he couldn't do what he needed.
    When he finally got checked out by a doctor - first physical after some 10-12 years - the marker in his blood for R.A. was literally off the charts. I guess his tolerance for pain is higher than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Hope he is okay.

      Good to see you back.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I laughed when I read the title of the post. I cannot imagine what would happen if men were the ones to carry and deliver babies. Probably solve the world population problem before it ever started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiring someone for the yard clean-up sounds like a good idea. Sometimes things are too much to handle. Besides he sounds like he no longer enjoys yardwork. I don't really like to mow grass. I just like the way it helps me control my weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He says he enjoys it when it's manageable.

      Delete
  5. I truly think we moms are to blame for the way men are when they are sick, etc. We coddle our boys when they are younger and they expect that as they get older. Us women can never take a "sick day" when dealing with our children, got to be there for them. I remember hubby having a cold and being in bed for 2 days and I have the stomach flu and I'm still playing with the kids, making their lunches, getting them to school, etc.

    Get the yard service. It is better in the long run to pay for the service; one of those battles not worth fighting.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get why men are such big babies...maybe not all men.

      Delete
  6. My mother always used to say that men were big babies, basing her observation on my father's behavior when he would get sick. Sometimes I'll milk my illness, but when I was still working I would push myself. Much of my work life there was no real such thing as taking off completely so I learned to tough it out.

    I guess a lot has to do with circumstances. If I can get away with milking the illness for all it's worth then I might just do it.


    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, at least you admit it. I allowed him to milk it, so I am half to blame.

      Delete
  7. I've been a RN for a long, long time. While I totally agree with you about husbands being so whiny I would much rather take care of men in the hospital than I would women. Women are for the most part so demanding and needy! Maybe it is because they have to take care of the men and kids at home all the time!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts