Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Family - you gotta love 'em.




Congratulations to me - I'm going to be a great aunt to a baby girl in October! 

My niece called to tell me she is pregnant and due in October. My only sister passed about a year and a half ago and so I am all that she has. I can never be her mother but I try to be a good aunt. I could be better, though. We both went 6 months without getting in contact with each other. I knew she was going through some hard stuff and we just got to the point, when we talked, we'd get all down, and then start talking about her mom's death.

She has been in a very rocky and turbulent relationship with a young man from Somalia. They have one child together and he started drinking and would get violent and beat her. I could never understand, why she would stay - but then again, my sister was married to three abusive men in her life and her daughter I guess, just fell into the same pattern. Sad. So, they got back together and made another child - this time a girl. She says he has stopped drinking and everything is good. I sure want to believe that!

Apparently, in June, his sister will be coming to live with them - she will graduate high school and is a very religious Sunni Muslim. He will be expected by his family, to behave. Right now, the brother is living with them, but he is supposed to be moving soon.

I will say, my niece, sounded more mature than I ever heard from her before. She mentioned "God" a few times, and I believe her future sister-in-law will rub off on her. My niece has said many times, that she does believe Islam is the one true religion. It really isn't that far from how she was raised. Her father, my ex-brother-in-law is from Iran. Granted he was not religious at all. I have found, that if a Muslim is from Iran, they tend to want to be like Americans. Whereas, her boyfriend's family are very strict Muslim. It's just that, their son, strayed away from their faith while at college. He really is a nice guy when he is not drinking and I really want to believe he has changed.

A few years ago - there was a lot of family "drama." going on. I don't like family drama. 


10 comments:

  1. I am a great-aunt too. It's wonderful!

    Congratulations..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been blessed with grandchildren yet - instead my quiver is full of 9 great nieces and nephews (and 1 on the way) and 4 great great nieces and 1 great great nephew.

      Delete
    2. Great greats! WOW! You are blessed. :)

      Delete
  2. Family drama is double hard because you care so much and it is hard to get a break from it. If the hubby really was only ever violent when drinking and he has managed to stop drinking and can stay stopped all might be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new arrival to the family come October!! We can only hope the father restrains from drinking and appreciates the wonderful gifts he has in his child now and the child to be born later in the year. I too don't like family drama; we're recovering from a present one and I'm hopeful there will be a bit of peace before the next one descends upon us.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. We learn a lot through observation not all of it good. I do hope her partner does clean up his act and becomes a good husband and father. Regardless of your background, alcohol does not bring out the best in any of us.
    Congratulations on the new baby in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that things work out for them well. It sounds like he's got a lot of incentives to help him straighten up.

    Congratulations on becoming a great aunt. Because of the age difference between my husband and his sister, my nephews are older than me. I became a great aunt at the age of 22!

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! It's great having nieces and nephews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great news, Debby. I'm happy for you. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts