Thursday, April 27, 2017

#AtoZChallenge Xerox




The summer after I graduated high school, I went to work for a California based dental insurance company in San Francisco's financial district. Talk about a exciting place for a young 18 yr old!

I started out in the mailing room - stayed there for 3 months and then was promoted to Benefit Services. Basically, a complaint department for both dental offices and customers. Fun job. I had a desk, all the supplies I ever wanted - use of a very early CRT monitor with the computer network on a floor of  it's own. The one machine I had a total blast with, was the good old, Xerox machine.

They still have them now - coming directly from HS, I only occasionally had used them, in the school office. Now - I had full useage.

We took copies of our faces, hands, our rings, pages from books, money, and the occasional butt. Come on now - everyone was doing it back then, especially at office parties. I remember on occasion, someone would leave "behind" a copy...and it would be posted in the lunch room for all to see.

Oh, the fun, wild times back then, working in offices, in the 70's, thanks to the xerox machine.

10 comments:

  1. OK, some of the office shenanigans in those days were offensive and just wrong, but dang we did have some fun. These days I think just about anything will have you sent to Human Resources (used to be Personnel) for sensitivity training or out the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy isn't that the truth. Especially if you work for the Government - it's even worse. I bet those office parties at Fox News are eye openers! :-D

      Delete
  2. That does sound like a fun time. Our Mom never worked in an office. She was always outside working with animals which was great too. You have a wonderful week end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember watching tv shows years ago and they mentioned xerox machines and I had no idea what they were talking about to me the machine was a photo copier that was what I knew it as

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a big sex toy back then when it first came out.Now, they send selfies!

      Delete
  4. I remember butt copies. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my gosh! Did you ever see 9to5 with Dolly Parton? My first job out of college was at the headquarters of area white pine lumber mills. We had a huge Xerox just like the one in the movie!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts