Thursday, April 06, 2017

#AtoZChallenge We loved our Entertainment

1960 - My sister and I 



I've mentioned before how I don't care for the Hollywood of today. That's because I was star-struck as a child and teenager. My mom was a big movie buff and we always had the movie magazines on our coffee table, so I remember when Eddie Fisher left Debbie Reynolds for Liz Taylor.

During those baby boom years, there also was a BOOM on entertainment. I've heard it said, TV and the baby Boomers grew up together. I can't remember ever NOT having a TV set when we were kids. Many family events, took place near the TV set. Mom would even place the Christmas Nativity on top of the TV set.

In San Francisco, where I am from, an Inventor named Philo Farnsworth transmitted the first image of a horizontal line to a receiver in the next room. That was in 1927 and thus, the first TV was born. 202 Green St. San Francisco. I also found out, Philo is a distant relative of mine - 11th cousin, 1 time removed.

TV was the entertainment for everybody! Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy, You Bet Your Life, The Ed Sullivan Show, that opened us up to even more entertainment, music. We saw Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and more. My dad loved Gunsmoke, Wagon Train,  and Dragnet.

Hollywood was special in the 60's - many of the classic Hollywood stars were still alive. I always looked forward to the Academy Awards, that was when the old Hollywood stars would step out on to the red carpet and shine once again.

Mae West d. 1980,
Rita Hayworth d. 1987,
Susan Hayward d. 1975,
Shelley Winters d. 2006,
Richard Burton d. 1984,
John Wayne d. 1979
Rock Hudson. d. 1985.

I remember going to movies, to see Gone with the Wind for the first time in 1963 - the Fox Theater on Market St.

The 30 most Influential movies of the baby boom generation:

The Graduate 1967
Dr. No 1962
Goodbye Columbus 1969
Easy Rider 1969
2001 Space Odyssey 1968
Bullitt 1968
The French Connection 1971
Jaws 1975
The Godfather Movies 1972 1974
Rebel without a Cause 1955
A Star is born 1954 -
Fail Safe 1964 - Walter Mattheu and Henry Fonda
Dr Strangelove 1964
The Searchers - 1957 John Wayne
Spartacus - 1963 - Kirk Douglas
Singing in the Rain - 1952 - Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly
Rear Window - 1954 - Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly
The Manchurian Candidate - 1964 - Frank Sinatra and Janet Leigh
Seven Days in May - 1964 - Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas
Bridge on River Kwai - 1957 - Alec Guinness
The Magnificent Seven - 1960 - ALL STAR CAST: Yul Brenner, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn, Steve Mcqueen, Charles Bronson and Eli Wallach.
The Big Country - 1958 - Gregory Peck
Shane - 1953 - Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur and Van Heflin.

I've underlined the ones I have yet to see. Which ones have you seen?


1950 Events & Facts MAJOR EVENTS: North Korea invades South Korea; U.N. forces arrive to counter the invasion, but are forced to withdraw.
President Truman declares state of emergency after Communist China becomes involved in the conflict.
Communist Chinese forces occupy Tibet
Senator Joseph McCarthy warns of communist infiltration of State Department
Failed assassination attempt on President Truman by Puerto Rican nationalists
Congress passes laws that restrict communists and communist parties in the U.S.
Accused communist spy Alger Hiss convicted of perjury
National Council of Churches formed


ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT: Movies: 
Sunset Boulevard,
All About Eve
Songs: 
A Bushel and a Peck,
Good Night Irene, Mona Lisa,
C’est Si Bon
TV Shows:
Arthur Godfrey and Friends,
Lux Video Theatre,
Fred Waring Show,
Your Show of Shows,
Your Hit Parade,
Fireside Theatre
Books: The Martian Chronicles, Ray Bradbury;
Across the River and Into the Trees, Ernest Hemmingway;
Darkness at Noon, Sidney Kingsley;
The Way West, A.B. Guthrie, Jr.

"Cool jazz" gains popularity
Guys and Dolls premieres
George Bernard Shaw dies










21 comments:

  1. Growing up in the 1960s, television certainly was a big part of our lives and they were black and white. Recently Fathom Theater Events has been bringing some of the baby boom era films back to the big screen. We went to see Singing In the Rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local theater has been doing the same.

      Delete
  2. One time my parents bought a television that didn't play cartoons. Good try mom, we found those cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen most of those movies, don;t remember most, need to watch them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I are trying to re-read classic books and watch old movies. Fun.

      Delete
  4. Gone with the wind and The Godfather movies are on my list of favorites.
    Nowadays everything is so much different. But in a way, it makes me and my generation appreciate the classics even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so interesting. My mom is a baby boomer and talks fondly about her childhood. Reading your post brought back a lot of good memories of her sharing. The only movie I've seen is Jaws - I was SO scared!! I loved re-runs of Leave it to Beaver and Father knows Best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen 2001, A Space Odyssey, The Godfather (I and II), Jaws, and Bridge on River Kwai. Good stuff. What, no Exorcist on this list?

    E is for Experiment: Turning the USS Eldridge Invisible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OM Exorcist was the scariest movie for me. I threw up

      Delete
  7. Love that round TV screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I bet it would be worth some $$$ at an antique store.

      Delete
  8. So many memories. I too was star struck with a filing cabinet full of pictures and movie magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were so fun to read back then

      Delete
  9. I can remember not having a TV as a child. I can't remember when we got our first one. But I've never really been a Hollywood type gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am NOT one now - I loved the classics. I couldn't even tell you who the top young actors and actresses are and frankly don't care. My kids aren't home - I have no grandkids teaching me, so I am totally in the dark now.

      Delete
  10. I remember when my dad bought a colour tv, we were the first in the family to have one and the first in the street to have one, my uncle John thought dad was mad to get one just after they came out because of the cost dad however, always liked to have the latest invention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when color TV came out too. We all sat around the TV and watched Flipper.

      Delete
  11. I suppose that in that time TV was to your generation what Internet is to today's younger generation. Though from what you say, television seems tho have been accepted more promptly by the entire family, where Internet is seen with some suspicion by parents still now.

    Great article :-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - 1940s Film Noir

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts