Wednesday, April 26, 2017

#AtoZChallenge V is for Vaccines


Source: rarehistoricalphotos

Why do so many older people have little circle scars on their upper left arm? The BABY-BOOMER BADGE of Honor. I remember, standing in line at school, late 50's, to get my "school boosters." It was a exciting event - moms with babies in strollers, little kids running around - and us school kids, showing each other our badges. You had to be careful, not to knock off the scab it created or it would leave a deep scar. We only wanted the little round, circle.

Back then, mothers were anxious for their children to be vaccinated. I'm sure there were some who objected - for religious reasons.

The one vaccine, they were waiting for, was the polio vaccine. I know, my mom made sure we got it. It used to be oral. You drank it. My mom had polio as a child and spent a summer in a iron lung, during the depression. It weakened her greatly - and as she got older, she was diagnosed with post-polio syndrome: a condition that affects polio survivors years after recovery from an initial acute attack of the poliomyelitis virus. Post-polio syndrome is mainly characterized by new weakening in muscles that were previously affected by the polio infection and in muscles that seemingly were unaffected. At first they told her she had fibromyalgia - My poor mom, was in so much pain.

I am sure she wished, the polio vaccine was around when she was born - 1934.


1963 Events & Facts MAJOR EVENTS:

 President Kennedy assassinated in Dallas, Texas;
Vice President Lyndon Johnson becomes President.
The accused assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, is shot and killed a short time later.
Civil rights protests continue throughout the South, during which nonviolent activists are frequently met with beatings and arrests
200,000 people march on Washington in support of civil rights;
Dr. Martin Luther King delivers his "I Have a Dream" speech U.S.,
Soviet Union and Britain sign a nuclear test ban treaty
Scandals in British Parliament leads to resignations of key officials
"Great train robbery" in Britain yields £2.5 million for thieves
Kenya gains independence
Pope John XXIII dies; Cardinal Montini elected Pope, takes name of Paul VI
Washington-Moscow "hot line" established
Congress expands its investigation of organized crime

14 comments:

  1. Polio was just "a way of life" in the 50's everyone knew someone who had it in one degree of seriousness or another...very scary, it hit anyone anywhere with nothing to avoid to stay safe except pure chance. No wonder so many schools were later named after Salk. I forget, I think we got a series of shots and later came the oral...my mind is a sieve. Vaccines for everything today. My only objection is the need to give multiple vaccines to infants in one large cocktail. Seems better to spread them out and at an older age until more research is done. However to not vaccinate at all is a big mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't "scare" easily and being a cynical person I get my flu shot every year and don't worry about it. I agree with the infants- too big of doses for those little bodies. More research for sure has to be done.

      Delete
  2. Yes I remember getting those vaccines at school! And I will NEVER forget 1963! I was in the 7th grade the day President Kennedy was assassinated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like our worlds collided for V. I had been surprised when I had my daughter in the 1990s that the mark of the vaccinated no longer existed. It was a badge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it sure was. Mine is fading...

      Delete
  4. I remember standing in line for the little drink of the polio vaccine. I thought it was a great improvement from getting the shots. I have that circle on my left arm still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, but it's fading

      Delete
  5. I don't think you can see mine today. Our vaccine was put on sugar cubes for us to eat. I think those of us that saw polio are more pro-vaccine. I can see people being skeptical of vaccines; but, they have improved life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally have no complaints.

      Delete
  6. I don't know whether this happenes in other courntries as well, but here in Italy there is a senseless opposition fo vaccins these days. News had come out that vaccines are dangerous to children, so many parents now are refusing to give vaccines to their babies.

    This has caused a resurgence of diseases that had previously disappeared, and it's proving very difficult for the health authorities to convince parents that vaccines are safe and this attitude to refuse them is very very dangerous.
    Let's hope people will come around.

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - 1940s Film Noir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is going on here in the US as well. I just don't know what will become of it all.

      Delete
  7. It is sad that vaccines have done such a good job making certain diseases seemingly disappear in North America and Europe that now many parents are gambling their children's safety by refusing vaccines. I personally know of no one ever harmed by a vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a couple of families I know, have autistic children and they swear it is from the vaccines. I don't know. Just know that my kids had them and all their friends, and it never was an issue.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts