Saturday, April 22, 2017

#AtoZChallenge Smoking



Fake news? 

YUCK! The only thing I ever smoked was pot! Hated cigarettes. I was in the minority, though. It was cool, cheap, and socially acceptable. Everyone was smoking. My dad smoked when I was a kid - I remember the ashtrays, and when he was driving- with his little wing window open. (As if the smoke didn't totally clear the car) I hated it. I always slept with my bedroom window cracked open and left my bedroom door closed all the time. He quit smoking around 1967.

My mom never smoked.


Advertising like this, made smoking seem harmless

Yes that's Ronald Reagan


Smoke to sooth your throat 

even Santa smoked

So happy, my mom never smoked.





1960 Events & Facts MAJOR EVENTS: 
 John F. Kennedy elected President in narrow contest over Richard Nixon
Soviet Union shoots down an American U-2 reconnaissance airplane over Soviet airspace and captures pilot Gary Powers, forcing U.S. to admit to aerial spying
Black students stage a sit-in at a lunch counter in Greensboro, NC to protest segregated seating at the establishment; the event inspires a wave of such sit-ins across the South
Belgian Congo wins independence
U.S., Britain, France and the Soviet Union conduct summit talks, but without results
U.S. relations with Cuba deteriorate as Castro regime seizes U.S. assets

SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY: 
U.S. launches: Tiros I, first weather satellite Echo I, first communications satellite (experimental) Transit I-B, first navigational satellite Corona, first spy satellite
Soviet Sputnik 5 launches two dogs into orbit and returns them safely to earth
U.S.-French team aboard the deep-sea vessel Trieste dives to a record 35,800 feet in the Pacific
 First studies linking cigarette smoking with heart disease


15 comments:

  1. I've quit several times, most recently about 5 years ago. I think I've tot it this time. DO smoke an occasional cigar. My pop could not get off them. My mom did not smoke, she tried, but they made her sick so she wasn't "cool". Up to the 90's there was smoking in the theater, airplane, buildings...everywhere. I think I enjoyed maybe 5 cigarettes a day, problem is I smoked 30 or more a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. One thing good about California, is smoking is totally unaccepted and has been for many years before, the rest of the country started limiting its use. Especially in the San Francisco area, it is looked down on. I can't remember when there was smoking in any public place in California- it's been that long.

      Delete
    2. OF course I read that in SF they pee in the street.

      Delete
  2. Time changes. Always hated the smoke smell from being around smokers in smokie places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh me too. My dad after he smoked, was a bear with other smokers. He hated it.

      Delete
  3. My Dad was a smoker. I was always sick. Once I moved away from home I was fine. I cannot stand the smell of smoke and never would date anyone who smoked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. When I was divorced, and was dating that was one of their first things I asked and ruled out.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it weird how things change. In the 1920s, smoking was considered healthy because it helped keeping weight under control. A statement like that sounds like crazyness today...

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - 1940s Film Noir


    ReplyDelete
  5. Smoked 3 cigarettes when I was in high school. Didn't finish any of them. Never could get the "hang" of it. Didn't smoke marijuana either. Too afraid to. Heard of horror stories bout people who smoked "bad weed" and what happened to them. I do remember though all the ads for cigarettes on TV and in magazines though.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoking weed never bothered me. Although now, I don't smoke it because I don't want it in my lungs and the medicinal benefits most of it goes up in the smoke. Edibles or tinctures are the way to gain the best benefits.

      Delete
  6. I picked up smoking which was a difficult habit to quit. but I did in January 1999. Initially, I smoked with a group to fit in but never at home. Then I smoked at home and it was a habit, a noxious habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I never picked it up. I've seen how hard it is to quit

      Delete
  7. Daddy smoked Marlboros. It never bothered me. I remember loving the smell of his lighter firing off and being fascinated when he would refill it with lighter fluid. I tried pot once. Couldn't get my 1979 Mustang Cobra to go over 45mph after smoking. Decided that wasn't for me. Started smoking cigarettes in college at a frat party I found boring. Dabbled with it for a few years, just when drinking, things like that. Then I was hooked. Still am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no - I've cleaned up my act since I was a teen. I don't smoke, drink and only do pot if it is medicinal.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts