Thursday, April 20, 2017

#AtoZChallenge the Pappas QUADS from Baltimore



Bottle feeding was very popular during the baby-boom. Not because the moms were working - it was for the convenience and savvy marketing, touting that cows milk formula was better than breast milk. Multiple births, always led to bottle feeding and contracts with the formula companies that would pay the family in diapers, formula - whatever up to a year. Not a bad deal.

Lets face it - babies were BIG Business back then and everyone was baby CRAZY.

It must have been a terrible time for women who couldn't get pregnant.


More on the Pappas Quads




 1958 Events & Facts MAJOR EVENTS: 
Efforts at school desegregation in the southern U.S. are met with impassioned resistance
U.S. launches its first satellite, Explorer I;
NASA established
Vice President Richard Nixon’s goodwill tour of South America sparks open protests and rioting Egypt and Sudan form the United Arab Republic
U.S. Marines intervene in Lebanon to bolster government

 EVERYDAY LIFE: Stereo recordings become available
"Barbie" doll introduced, becoming an instant success

FUN FACTS: "Hula Hoops" become a national craze

14 comments:

  1. It is bizarre that we believed milk for cows was somehow better for us than milk for humans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Messing with formula, getting the temp just right, bottle feeding was a pain, breast is best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my dad would drink the milk straight out of the can. He had all of his teeth and no cavities when he passed. So the milk drinking must have helped.
    With four babies, you needed some Carnation milk. But it is ridiculous so many did not breast feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I were bottle fed babies so when I had my 3, my mom was very critical about it.

      Delete
  4. Oh, your post was interesting to me because I breast fed all three kids up until about a year old, and I think it was the best decision for me. So many different choices that women have these days.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too. I think it is the best and it was one of the highlights of having my babies - that closeness was priceless.

      Delete
  5. Yeah bottle feeding baby was a trend way back then, I was for the most part bottle feed but not on formula but diluted cows milk, I am not sure why that was I just know it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carnation was formula? Wow, I think I remember people cooking with it in the 70s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it was the base of the "formula". The doctor would give the new mom recipe or formula and she would have to mix it up. A real pain in the butt I'm sure.

      Delete
  7. My two sisters were born in the forties at home and breast fed. I came along in 1960. Mama had me in a hospital, knocked out, and my sisters who were on high school, begged Mama to bottle feed me. It would have been embarrassing they thought. Both sisters bottle fed their children. I breast fed mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still believe breast is the best.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts