Monday, April 17, 2017

#AtoZChallenge The Neighborhoods

I've hit a WALL.

For the life of me, I cannot think of a word that starts with the letter N that relates to my subject matter. At first, I did this huge post on the United NATIONS.(A replacement for the ineffective League of Nations, the organization was established on 24 October 1945 after World War II in order to prevent another such conflict.)

BORING.

Baby Boomer Neighborhoods? 


Yes, this is me, in my Haight-Ashbury Neighborhood. 


Back then, our neighborhoods were safe - everybody knew everybody and during Halloween, the streets were packed with kids, dressed up as Cowboys, Astronauts, Ballerinas and I was a Flapper once.

After that photo in the San Francisco Chronicle, I thought I was pretty cool. 



Many times your neighborhood friends, were your best friends. I was lucky, the boy next door was a drummer in a rock and roll band. My parents hated it - I loved it. He had his cute friends over and I would peek out my bedroom window and watch all the comings and goings.


Neighbors out for Pizza after 8th-grade graduation. I am the one with the pink ribbon. 


When my sons were young, I tried to mimic the whole "baby-boomer" thing, down to even the house in a good neighborhood. We lived in our neighborhood for 22 years!


1955 Events & Facts MAJOR EVENTS:

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. leads the first major event of the U.S. civil rights movement, a bus boycott in Montgomery, Alabama
President Eisenhower suffers heart attack, is hospitalized for three weeks
World War II Allies sign treaty restoring Austria’s independence
Interstate Commerce Commission orders all U.S. interstate trains and buses to end segregation practices

BUSINESS & ECONOMY: The AFL and CIO labor unions merge

SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY: 
UHF television developed
Artificial diamonds created for the first time
Albert Einstein dies

10 comments:

  1. It's funny, isn't it? The village where I live used to be safer when I was a kid. What's happenign to this world?

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - 1940s Film Noir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what is happening - it is changing.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, the good old days! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very cute little flapper indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute with the flapper! I have lived in a lot of neighborhoods and only connected with people around me in a handful of them. Not sure why that was; maybe the chemistry of them? Because my work station window faces out to the street (intentionally by a window so I don't feel like I'm working in a cave) I can see the comings and goings of my neighbors in close proximity. I know a lot about them from what I observe. I'm afraid to get to know them and slip out I know their schedules, their routines, who is visiting, etc. They might be thinking I'm stalking them when in reality I'm just looking out the window 8 hours a day as I'm chained to my key board working :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this post made me think of my childhood and I had a pretty good childhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are blessed to have had good childhoods. I know some, who haven't.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts