Thursday, April 13, 2017

#AtoZChallenge KOREAN War


My Dad

This was my father's war. Although, politically speaking, they don't like to even refer to it, as a War. The PC version is that it was a  "Conflict." which used to piss my dad off and every other Korean Veteran I know. Dad used to say, "Tell that to the young servicemen, fighting and dying, that it is only a "conflict."  The fighting ended on 27 July 1953, when an armistice was signed. The agreement created the Korean Demilitarized Zone to separate North and South Korea and allowed the return of prisoners. However, no peace treaty has been signed, and the two Koreas are technically still at war.

Dad didn't talk too much about it, like many war veterans, he stuffed it, or only talked with brothers who had served in WW2, and Korea. I remember him, having nightmares -

A year or so, before he died, he took me aside and tried to tell me, all the terrible things he did and saw - he couldn't. He just cried. That really upset me. Since then, I try and watch some of the old movies, and documentaries on the Korean War, to better understand what he went through.

Besides Mash, my dad's favorite movie was Pork Chop Hill. I've seen it several times, another good one, The Bridges at Toko-Ri.

On a lighter note:
Dad was stationed at Fort Eustis, Va. after he came back in 1953 and they lived on the base. Word is, that is where I was conceived.


Mom, 1953 - at Virginia Beach, VA - She was pregnant with me

1953 Events & Facts MAJOR EVENTS:

SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY: 
U.S. Air Force test pilot Chuck Yeager sets speed record in X-1 rocket plane
An expedition led by Sir Edmund Hillary is the first to reach the summit of Mount Everest
James Watson and Francis Crick determine the structure of DNA
Alfred Kinsey publishes Sexual Behavior in the Human Female
First clear evidence linking lung cancer to cigarette smoking

SPORTS:
 World Series: New York Yankees over Brooklyn, 4-2 (fifth consecutive win)
St. Louis Browns move to Baltimore to become the Orioles
Boston Braves move to Milwaukee

11 comments:

  1. I found a booklet on weight loss that recommended smoking. Those were the days. lol It is terrible what soldiers go through. My dad and three brothers were WW2 vets and a youngest was a Korean War vet.
    I worked at an alternative school. We had one person who would substitute. No matter what we left as a lesson plan. They discussed the Korean War. The kids loved him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good.It is the forgotten war

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine facing that kind of combat situation. The last war movie I saw was Hacksaw Ridge and the violence was fake, of course, but so hard to watch.

    K is for Kevlar—Gift From Aliens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see that movie yet

      Delete
  3. My husband was born in 1953 (I was born a few years later; I always like to emphasize I'm the younger of the two of us, LOL). His dad was career Navy for 24 years; served initially WW2. I am sure he did something in the Korean War, it is just slipping my memory right now. I know a lot of people who served had trouble talking about it after their service was done. I think nowadays it is more recognized about the potential of posttraumatic stress syndrome; that was not the case earlier.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been called by many names throughout military history

      Delete
  4. If it wasn't for MASH I wouldn't know anything about the Korean War, that said this was a great post, a post I enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you very much JoAnne

      Delete
  5. And here we are again. The Korean situation never ends, does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it doesn't and my dad followed the Korean situation till the day he died. Now I tend to follow what I can...

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your father and the Korean war. My brother-in-law was in the Vietnam War, and he didn't talk a whole lot about it either. I'm glad your dad made it back home.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts