Tuesday, April 04, 2017

#AtoZChallenge Blame it on ALL on Dr. Spock




#AtoZChallenge ~ D.  

Dr. Spoke was a major player, with [some] of our Moms, during those hurried baby boom years. In 1946, just after the war, he published his baby care book, The Common Sense Book of Baby and Childcare. It became a best seller, with a message that resonated with young moms, "you know more than you think you do."  

My Mom did not care for him, and so in 1976 when I was pregnant, the first book I bought, was Dr. Spock's Common Sense Book of Baby and Childcare. Frankly, I saw nothing wrong with it. It quickly became my most beloved baby book, to this day. Dr. Spock was my hero, truly a gentle giant, standing at 6'4 inches. His ideas about childcare influenced several generations of parents (including me) to be flexible and affectionate with their children, and to treat them as individuals. Wow, what a concept!

Dr. Spock and Martin Luther King, Jr


His BIO is too long for me to get into - A fascinating man of our times.  He was an outspoken activist in the New Left and anti-Vietnam War movements during the 1960s and early 1970s. At the time his books were criticized by Vietnam War supporters for allegedly propagating permissiveness and an expectation of instant gratification that led young people to join these movements, a charge Spock denied.  In 1962, Spock joined The Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy, otherwise known as SANE. In 1967, Spock was nominated as Martin Luther King, Jr.'s vice-presidential running mate at the National Conference for New Politics.

I raised 3 sons, using much of what Dr. Spock wrote about. Mostly, I embraced the simple notion, that I really did know more than I thought. I was able to raise my firstborn son, who was born with the birth defect of dwarfism. (Bone dysplasia) and stand up to doctors and those who wished to just use him as their experimental pin cushion. I was able to trust my mothering instincts - thanks to Dr.Benjamin Spock



1949 Events & Facts MAJOR EVENTS:
Communists forces gain power in China; Nationalists flee to Taiwan
North Atlantic Treaty Organization established the Soviet Union detonates its first atomic bomb
Israel admitted to U.N.
The Soviet Union lifts Berlin blockade;
Berlin airlift ends
 West Germany, East Germany formally established as nations
Vietnam, Indonesia gain sovereignty

BUSINESS & ECONOMY: Nearly 500,000 steel workers strike
FUN "Silly Putty" introduced

26 comments:

  1. Nice post! Feeling like reading the book now... :)


    LINK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get your hands on an older version. They are classic

      Delete
  2. Interesting man, he did much to change the world, almost all for the better. I think some of his teaching was misinterpreted as advocating "spoil" the child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. I even asked my mom once,"Have you ever even read his book?" and of course she said NO. He was a good man.

      Delete
  3. I've heard of him of course but I never knew all the things he did outside of childcare. Thank you for sharing!

    Today on my Journey To Courageous Living D is Daring to be gentle with yourself: come, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your post today. I new about Dr. Spock because he is well known . You could even say part of pop culture. I do know if my mom followed him with me and my five siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh My mom despised Dr. Spock. She was appalled when someone gave me his book at my baby shower for the birth of my first child. I read the book and often went back to read sections on parenting for reference. Now here we are all of these years later and addiction to heroin is plaguing my children; a few of them alcohol is the problem and my mom says, "I told you" and blames it me reading Dr. Spock's book. I have tried explaining it to her that addiction to this drug has nothing to do with Dr. Spock, but cannot convince her. Enjoyed your post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow - Yep, they all blame him. Most of them haven't even read his common sense parenting. He was my favorite baby doctor.

      Delete
  6. I never read Dr. Spock. I don't remember my pediatrician ever mentioning him either. I was aware of him, just not interested in reading what he had to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mainstream Doctors didn't approve of him because of his politics. These same doctors however, promoted healthy smoking. Go figure.

      Delete
  7. Sounds better than the "What to Expect if You're Expecting" series.

    D is for Denver Airport: Alien Circus Reptiles Stole Your Luggage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that series. I used to be a Nanny.

      Delete
  8. My mom wasn't a fan of Dr. Spock so I don't really know much about him. I like that he encouraged you to think for yourself and believe in yourself. I'll have to check him out.

    ----------

    Nancy

    Filled to Empty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most never even read his child care book. It was his politics. He was ahead of the times.

      Delete
  9. I just read your Dr. Spock post. Wonderful! You quoted my favorite -- and the first -- line of his Baby and Childcare Book. Since I had no experience at all with babies, it was the reassurance I needed with my first child. And then again with my second. I had no idea he was so tall. I, too, admired his activism against the Vietnam war and for civil rights. Thank you for your post. Happy A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. and YES, he gave us all the assurance we needed. I still tell young moms to this day, "you know more than you think you do."

      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  10. Of course I have heard of him but knew bugga all about him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well now you know a little more....

      Delete
  11. My mother was not a fan of Dr. Spock, but she wasn't a fan of doctors generally. She was a nurse. And it sounds like she was taking his advice even if she didn't specifically take his advice (if that makes any sense).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Most who opposed him did not read his book. It was his politics they really didn't like.

      Delete
  12. I'm proud of you to stand up to doctors. I did not have children so I had no real knowledge of Spock.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read Dr. Spock! He gave fairly good advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read his book so much - I wore it out. I just loved him.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts