Thursday, April 27, 2017

#AtoZChallenge 1970's slang WORDS







I graduated high school in 1972 - I used both 60's and 70's slang words. 

Cool – pretty great
Neat/Neato – almost as cool as cool
Groovy – really cool
Far out – also pretty cool
Outta sight – cool, neat, groovy, or far out
Can you dig it? – Do you understand?
Spaz – a clumsy individual
Keep on Truckin’ – encouragement to go with the flow
Right on! – I think that’s great!
Airhead – someone without a lot of brains or common sense
Boogie – to dance rhythmically
Bread – money
Bummer – bad news
Foxy – description of someone who’s really “hot”, usually a woman
It’s a gas – it’s a lot of fun
Cat – a really cool guy
Boss – great, cool
Jive Turkey – someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about
Mellow out – to sit back and relax
Chill – take it easy
Funky – cool and unusual
Hip – yet another word for cool
Man – a word often used at the end of a sentence to make a point; i.e. “This is really cool, man!”
Pad – a place to live
Threads – clothing
May the Force be with You – From Star Warsmeaning good luck
Dude – a male pal
Hang Loose – relax
Your Old Man – this referred to your husband, father, boyfriend or any male with whom you were connected
Let it All Hang Out – tell everything
It’s My Bag (or Not My Bag) – I like doing it (or don’t like doing it)

1964 Events & Facts MAJOR EVENTS:
 After completing what would have been the final year of John F. Kennedy’s first term, President Johnson re-elected in a landslide over Barry Goldwater
President Johnson declares "war on poverty," introduces a variety of federal welfare programs, including Medicare (initially proposed by Kennedy in 1960)
Three civil rights workers murdered in Mississippi during "Freedom Summer"
24th Amendment to Constitution adopted, ensuring fair voting practices
Race riots break out in Harlem and other U.S. cities
Investigating the Kennedy assassination, the Warren Commission determines that "Oswald acted alone" in killing the president
U.S. military forces launch attacks on North Vietnam in response to an alleged attack on a U.S. destroyer off the Vietnamese coast; Congress passes Gulf of Tonkin resolution that gives the President greater freedom to authorize combat actions in Vietnam
Soviet leader Khrushchev falls from power, is ultimately replaced by Leonid Brezhnev
Anchorage, Alaska hit by massive earthquake
Turkey attacks Cyprus

BUSINESS & ECONOMY: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa convicted of fraud, conspiracy and jury tampering The average hourly wage for blue collar workers has increased from between 50 and 75 percent since 1949

12 comments:

  1. Definitely an important list of words. I had a similar post in my 197os time capsule for last years A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still use a few of those words...

      Delete
  2. I still use some of these. I probably should stop saying cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when the word dude started. Now I call my dog, dude. It fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude is a fitting name for some dogs. I like it.

      Delete
  4. hahaha, I still say "neat." Love that word. You're the same age as my sister. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say neat, and cool. Trying to break myself of saying cool all the time. It annoys me.

      Delete
  5. Well, I'm familiar with a few of these. some are still in use, aren't they?
    Some are totally unknown to me.

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - 1940s Film Noir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are - some are just timeless

      Delete
  6. I never used much of the slang, except cool and sometimes old man. I graduated in 1979. Several of us girls came up with a rhyme that stuck:
    We are foxy,
    We are fine,
    we're the class of '79!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts