Tuesday, March 07, 2017

The Haves and the Have-nots


The closer we got to the San Francisco Peninsula, the more trash we saw on the side of the Interstate and roads. Mattresses, shoes, car parts, plastic bags of garbage...Not to mention huge potholes in the middle of the roads. Living there, we always knew our roads were bad. All Cal Trans does, is patch. So after a while, you get these ridges in the roads and when you traveling 70mph, it makes for a very bumpy ride.

It had been 2 years since I had been to the Silicon Valley, where I used to live - . My goodness, the construction business is booming. Modern buildings, and High Tech office campuses, spreading from one town to the next,  and Stanford University Hospital is inching it's way north from Palo Alto to Redwood City. The freeway, crowded with 2016 and 2017 brand new luxury cars - You could smell the wealth as well as the apathy.

It's always been that way to a point. Try being a single mom with 3 sons living in the silicon valley? They went to school with all these rich kids, driving Lexus, or Mercedes, BMW's - my sons, took the bus. Hey, it was good for them and it created character! My sons, were still popular and their friends liked coming over to see, how the "other half lives". Some of them, I couldn't get rid of. Their parents paid them no attention. But they drove the best cars, and had the best of everything. They actually liked us - as if we were from another planet. We're living in a 1100 sq ft house and they have about 5000 square foot to lay around in.

A good friend of mine, is a realtor -

See the dream home below?  It's a stunning 908 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 1 bath mansion in Palo Alto that closed on Wednesday. 7500 sq ft. lot.  It was listed for $1,927,000 - Had 17 offers and closed at $2,550,000!! No doubt, this will be a tear-down, while a nice new McMansion will be built in it's place. 



So there was the young, the rich and the up and coming - then, parked between the bushes and trees along 101 Hwy, are homeless communities. Tent cities lined the bay shore freeway. It was a mess. You can see it from the Hwy, if you are looking - most of them, were are too busy.

This UPSET me so much. Regeneration is what is going on, and the longtime people of the communities, are being forced out. I wish these Internet and Software companies would GIVE BACK and help relocate these people. I wouldn't want to legislate it - but they could be heavily swayed with some tax incentives instead.

I read where, San Francisco, San Mateo County and Santa Clara County together added 385,800 jobs between 2010 and the end of 2015, according to the California Employment Development Department. Over the same period, building permits were issued for just 58,324 housing units, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, enough space to hold roughly 150,000 new residents.

How bad is the housing crisis in the Silicon Valley? So bad that cities are actively trying to stop the creation of new jobs, because they don’t have anywhere to house the people.

At the memorial service, I talked to a guy who said his dad moved into a residential community for seniors - at $5600 a month. But he said, it INCLUDED everything. I would think so.

It confirms, that we were wise, to leave back in 2008. As we got older, and the Tech industry keeps changing, we would not have been able to keep up - not for lack of trying or skills, but age discrimination is the norm. Oh Tech CEO's make out like, there is non of THAT, but look around - it is a culture of youth. Most CEO's are not even in their 30's yet.

It does make me very sad, to see my area, changing drastically. Then I think back to the pioneer days, when they would arrive in New York, but had to go West - where they could afford 40 acres and a new life.  We didn't get 40 acres, but we did get a new life in a totally different part of California. I am grateful.


10 comments:

  1. Ca. Seems like a different world to some of us

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with joeh. Totally different world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a youth culture. Wisdom and experience have no place there, just like the homeless.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. To who much is given, much is expected. I wouldn't hold my breath though. I always think of Doris Duke and the Woolworth heiresses. They had difficult lives and few true friends. I think both could have lived better lives if they used their money to assist people versus buy things. The Woolworth heiress died with $3000 in her checking account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow,I didn't know that.

      Delete
  5. I can relate to your comment about your children growing up in Silicon Valley amongst their rich friends. We moved in son's senior year from Montana to the Laguna Beach area of Southern California. At his high school, all the kids were driving BMWs, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, etc. He was driving a Suzuki Sidekick. I used to pray that God would show me the poor people in the neighborhoods (he did). We were not poor but certainly not affluent. It was a learning experience. It is amazing about property values too in California, certain parts of it. We sold a home in Southern California that bought us 2 homes in the Phoenix area with money to spare. Good you got out of the madness!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Laguna Beach and yes, very affluent. When I am away, I THINK I miss it, until I go back.

      Delete
  6. I don't get people paying so much money for something that will be knocked down but I like to get value for money that is not value for money in my opinion

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts