Wednesday, March 08, 2017

The Fitness Center

Old School Gym



There is a social community within a fitness center. I go there to workout. I go alone - maybe once every 2 weeks,my husband joins me and even then, we split up. I am a people watcher. When I am on the treadmill, what keeps me going is the social drama going on, with the same people. At the time, I go, there is a lot of seniors. Young seniors, new seniors, old seniors, ones with canes - white hair, no hair, blue hair, purple hair. Fat ones, skinny ones, boney ones - and the ones that look pretty dog-gone-good.

It doesn't matter, how old you get - the male/female attraction, is still there.  A new old guy joins - and a few of the resident senior cougars are there to greet him. Sometimes, the guy really is there to work out. I feel for him. Then you have the old guys, that still think they have it. They walk down the aisle, checking out the ladies. I get this look on my face when I don't want to be bugged, so I don't have much problems, plus I wear my wedding ring.

There is this one woman, who I have never seen use a machine or workout. The GYM is her social world. Here everyone is huffing and puffing and sweating, and she comes up and talks to you while you are in the middle of it all. She goes from person to person.

Then there are the women, who won't go to the gym, unless they are in a bunch - 2-3 friends together. I don't know...what's UP with THAT? and they are loud. Talking so loud, I can hear them through my ear buds. Can't really get on their case - they are hard of hearing.

Then there are the ones, who don't spray down the equipment when they are done. So I spray every time _ before and after. I'm usually there for about an hour and I do enjoy it. Watching people is way more amusing than watching the TV.

The gym is like shopping to me. I don't like to talk or socialize. I am there to do business. I like to get in and get out. Come to think of it, I am like that PERIOD, all the time. Whether I am shopping, at the gym, walking the neighborhood. I mean, I don't dislike people, I just hate small talk. I never know what to say, after, "Hi."




8 comments:

  1. And I thought I was cranky, we are kindred spirits...I get it. I really don't need the How ya doin's, a nod is just fine.

    My gym is younger, not as much people watching fun there, I watch the TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The young people are even more fun to watch.

      Delete
  2. We still have to go and pick out a Gym for member ship. We have Silver Sneaker program for seniors. It s free.
    I am like you. I like to get things done because I have things lined up. I had to talk to a lot of people for work, but that was work related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm burned out from talking when I was younger. I was quite the chatterbox. I talked enough in the past to where I can now rest.

      Delete
  3. Family business has kept me too busy to go to the gym. I enjoy seeing everyone but do understand about the talking. I do go to exercise and when my hour is up, it is up. It is hard about the talking. I have a hard time getting away from someone who needs to talk. But I need the quiet, I get talked too all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. too much chatter boggles my brain.

      Delete
  4. I too am a people watcher. Especially when exercising, its a good way to pass the time :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and when you are sweating and struggling to keep going...it does beat music or TV

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts