Friday, March 31, 2017

#AtoZChallenge INTRO) Be there or Be Square




My A-Z challenge theme will be The A-Z's of Babyboomers/the Baby Boom Years. 

I've always been a proud member of this special group of people. The older we get, the more special we are. We think, we're still cool - We are - still trendsetting, with older baby-boomers tapping their feet to the Rolling stones.

I loved growing up during these times. Join in, through The A-Z's of Babyboomers/the Baby Boom Years. Help yourself to some cookies and milk and let's get started.






Almost exactly nine months after World War II ended, “the cry of the baby was heard across the land,” as historian Landon Jones later described the trend. More babies were born in 1946 than ever before: 3.4 million, 20 percent more than in 1945. This was the beginning of the so-called “baby boom.”

In 1947, another 3.8 million babies were born; 3.9 million were born in 1952; and more than 4 million were born every year from 1954 until 1964, when the boom finally tapered off. By then, there were 76.4 million “baby boomers” in the United States. They made up almost 40 percent of the nation’s population.

What explains this baby boom? Some historians have argued that it was a part of a desire for normalcy after 16 years of depression and war. Others have argued that it was a part of a Cold War campaign to fight communism by outnumbering communists. Most likely, however, the postwar baby boom happened for more quotidian reasons. Older Americans, who had postponed marriage and childbirth during the Great Depression and World War II, were joined in the nation’s maternity wards by young adults who were eager to start families. (In 1940, the average American woman got married when she was almost 22 years old; in 1956, the average American woman got married when she was just 20. And just 8 percent of married women in the 1940s opted not to have children, compared to 15 percent in the 1930s.)

 Many people in the postwar era looked forward to having children because they were confident that the future would be one of comfort and prosperity. In many ways, they were right: Corporations grew larger and more profitable, labor unions promised generous wages and benefits to their members, and consumer goods were more plentiful and affordable than ever before. As a result, many Americans felt certain that they could give their families all the material things that they themselves had done without.


 http://www.history.com/topics/baby-boomers


Be There or Be Square

This slang saying was popularized in 1950s although, could of come from as far back as the mid 40's. here in the USA. Square was jazz slang for a conformist who didn't appreciate counter culture, especially jazz music. This comes from the older use of square as honest and fair (as in "square meal" and "fair and square"). The phrase remains because of its simple rhyme. and I picked it up from my parents.



22 comments:

  1. Between you and me, I'm generally not a fan of this A-Z thing, it creates a lot of forced not so great posts, but I'm looking forward to your topic being born in 1946 and all.

    It seems my entire life I've been told that competition is difficult for us because of "The Baby Boom" College, not so easy to get in...the baby boom dontcha know/ Get a job? Not easy, the baby boom doncha know/ Health insurance? Going to be expensive cause...well, you know.

    You're off to a very good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the A-Z thing - IN the past, I have just posted on something so dumb, just to get a post in. Of course, I was freestyling.

      We'll see how this year goes. All I know, is that I enjoyed writing each and every post and isn't that the whole idea? It was a good exercise for me.

      Delete
    2. I've participated in the past and tried writing every day. This year I have all my posts done and scheduled so I can enjoy reading other bloggers' posts. I look forward to this one!
      Susan
      FREEZERBURNED

      Delete
  2. I'll see you in A to Z. I don't have time. But it is fun. Lol. Baby boom, there were a lot of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked hard to get them all loaded up,so I wouldn't have to stress and yes, we were a force to be reckoned with...still are,

      Delete
  3. Interesting...I wonder how many will be born this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read, the US Millennials have now bypassed us, as the biggest generation however it is not because of actual births - that has gone down drastically. It's by immigration. They will have a lot of work to do.

      Delete
  4. What a great topic, I'll enjoy reading these. Yes I remember 'be there or be square'
    *******

    Carmel from
    Earlier Years

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a baby boomer :) My mom married at 32; she considered herself an "old maid" (married in 1953). She and dad went on to have 3 children in the 1954, 1956, 1957. She wanted one more, but my dad died in 1959. He was an immigrant from Poland after the war.

    I hear these days baby boomer are staring to get rid of things they accumulated in their lives and their children don't want the things. Causing at times a real "headache" to get rid of things like big pieces of furniture, stuff they collected, etc. I am a minimalist so not much to dispose of here except hubby is still a bit if a herder (but a recovering one, he's doing so much better).

    Looking forward to reading as many of your A/Z's as I can.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baby boom is something new to me... Interesting.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1946. Great year. It produced me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to your first post. I really wish the A to Z would bring back the categorization of blogs so we could see and zero in on the lifestyle bloggers - there are a lot of great A to Z posts but there's just too many to go through at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. Plus I still favor the linky link -

      Delete
  9. I will pass on the A to Z I have enough trouble getting from A to B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever clever girl. :-)

      Delete
  10. This is going to be intersting. I'm blogging abotu the 1940s too, although on a much darker feeling. It will be intersting to see the two different faces (the optimistic and the disillusioned one) of that era :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have been reading - good stuff, nevertheless.

      Delete
  11. I was born in 1951 so I am looking forward to your challenge. I remember saying 'be there or be square' in high school in the 60's!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts