Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge



This is my second Wednesday HodgePodge and I am enjoying it. If you are interested in doing this with me, here is the directions The blog hosting this is From This Side of the Pond. Then you add your name to the list, for other bloggers to read and visit. Fun!

1. What do/did you call your grandparents? If it's something unusual tell us the story behind the name. If you're a grandparent what do your grands call you? Who chose your moniker?  

I called them Grandma and Grandpa. Which does bring up something I have always wondered about. Why do southerners call their grandparents Maw Maw and Paw paw?  My grandparents were originally from Tennessee but they moved up north to Indiana and Ohio during the times when they were alive, to be nearer their daughters. We grew up in California, so we called them Grandma and Grandpa. I don't believe my cousins also called them GM and GP, like me. I have a brother (from another mother) and he lives in Alabama and that whole side of the family call each other Mee Maw and Pawpaw and it's just strange to me. There are other versions as well. Could someone explain it to me?

2. Ever taken a road trip along the California Coast? If so what was the highlight of your trek? If not, any desire to do so? What's one tourist attraction along the coast you'd add to your must-see list?


Maverick waves in comparison with the cliff and people. Cowabunga, Dudes!



This is too easy for me - I grew up in San Francisco and Pacifica - which is right on the coast. I lived 2 miles from the beach. I've traveled HWY 1, up and down California. Hearst Castle is a good tourist place to visit. If you like surfing, Mavericks is the BEST spot in California and top 10 places worldwide. They are noted for big wave surfing - cold water. The waves are huge and come between late Nov and March. Not for the novice.

I thing my favorite part of HWY 1, is from Golden Gate bridge, north to the Oregon border. Absolutely gorgeous and not a lot of traffic, if you like pristine beaches. I might add, the Oregon Coast is gorgeous too.

3. What are three things you don't know how to do? 




1.
I don't know how to use a paint sprayer and I want to know how. I have one, that is a commercial one, that uses this big compressor that was my dad's. I know it would make painting so much easier.

2. I don't know how to play Nintendo and Wii and all of that. AND, I don't want to.

This couple can cook and dance on their hoverboards. 


3. I don't know how to use a hover board - wish I could, but afraid I might fall or crash and hurt myself. (DIE) Wish they had them, when I was younger. I see them all around - high tech skateboard.
Newlyweds-surprise-guests-dance-

 4. Tom Peters is quoted as saying, 'Celebrate what you want to see more of.' If that's true, what and how will you celebrate? 





Sunshine. Last few days, we have had a drying out spell- with nice temperatures and sunshine. but the rain is back. I guess I didn't celebrate enough.

5. Thursday (February 16) is National Almond Day. Do you like almonds? Which would you prefer-an Almond Joy or a macaroon? What's something you make that calls for almonds? 






I live in Almond country. You drive up I-5 in the central valley and you will find an abundant of almond tree farms. I love almonds.  During our drought, many environmentalists were down on the Almond growers because it does require a lot of water to grow. Not me - Almonds are good for you and California Almonds are the best. As for Almond Joy or a Macaroon, I would choose neither. They both have coconut and I don't like the feel of coconut in my mouth. I tend to gag. I sprinkle sliced almonds in my cereal in the morning and I use them in salad. I add them to freshly cooked green beans, too. Many Asian dishes use sliced almonds and I love Chinese almond cookies!

6. What does Saturday morning look like at your house?

Pretty much the same as any other morning of the week. My husband works Sunday through Thursdays 4pm to midnight. Our weekends are Friday and Saturday. We usually lay in bed, drink our coffee, and talk. It is just the two of us - and our animals.

7. Share with us a favorite book you've read this winter. 

I'm reading: Three Sisters, Three Queens. by Philippa Gregory I am enjoying it. A few books I have read, this past winter have not kept my interest or have only been fair.

8. Insert your own random thought here.


Bronze statures in park 


Another storm is moving toward us. I am thinking about all those people in Oroville, Ca, having to leave their homes. They caught a few looters - makes me so mad. My own town is flooded near the Sacramento river. Our city park is partially under water. I just pray that what rain we have, doesn't create any more floods and dangerous situations - I know that, these flooding issues will be with us, for awhile. The spring snows have not melted yet and that will create flooding in areas that have not flooded yet.

Swollen Sacramento River and The City Park




26 comments:

  1. Visiting back! Sounds like the questions this week were written for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those waves look great! Looting is so sad, I hope it stops as well as the storms you've been having. Nice to meet you at the Hodgepodge today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too.

      Delete
  3. That flooding and the storms that are threatening the dam are really terrifying! I can't even imagine what it would be like to have grown up in California. I visited there once when I was in my late teens and it seemed like a foreign country compared with NW Wisconsin, where I live. Almonds, pomegranates, peaches, all those good things that grow in California. Sigh. Hope you have a good evening, and kinda glad you're not going to get on a Hoverboard. They seem pretty dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope I'm too scared. Nice to meet you.

      Delete
  4. It is so good to have you join this bunch of regular Hodgepodgers and trust you will become a faithful one as well. Yes, the beauty of Hwy 1 is one that will always be a huge part of our favorite memories. How interesting that I would choose to show my pics from Half Moon Bay and that would be your home. We so enjoyed our week in your state, but did not go much further north than San Fran and of course the Golden Gate Bridge. Oh my, we so wished for more time. We did go south as far as San Luis Obispo then went inland to Red Wood forests such Big Sur, and Yosemite. Like I said, just not enough time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the same with us. I want to go to the east coast and a week doesn't seem long enough. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  5. I was born and raised in the south and live here still and I called my grandparents Grandmother and Granddaddy. I called my dad's mom, GrandMoore but never knew Dad's dad. He passed away before I was born. I never heard anyone called MeMaw or MawMaw and PawPaw until my girls started coming along. But the grandparents picked those names, not us. My mother is called, Mimi. Around here I don't know anyone else who is called MawMaw, PawPaw or any of that. We have Gigi, Mimi, Sugah, Granna, Gammie, Yaya...just about anything else. So, I have no explanation other than personal preference. I've been seeing the news footage about the dam and it is terrifying. Hope y'all stay safe and dry! Thanks for visiting today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,the dam situation is scary for sure.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog today! I live in the deep south (Alabama) and I hate Meemaw and Pawpaw - we are Gran and Pops (hopefully!!). I can't explain why some people use those names!! Oh my goodness - the flooding pictures are so frightening - stay dry and safe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa so you're in Alabama and you don't like it either. Wow. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge answers. That is so neat that you live in almond country!

    Thanks for your visit to my blog ... please come and visit anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Debby, We've been paying a lot of attention to the Oroville dam situation. We have an Aunt and a cousin who live in Yuba City who got evacuation orders. We've driven that almond corridor many times from California to Seattle. I'm glad your drought is over but sad for the flooding problems. Hearst Castle! I remember being there once in my college years on a one day road trip up form Los Angeles. A little much to take in for one day driving back and forth. One of many crazy things we did in college. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your aunt and cousin stay safe. It's so scary.

      Delete
  9. Oh my! I hope the flood waters clear up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning, Debby! You are so lucky to live in beautiful California. So awful tho about the terrible flooding, tho. I love Phillipa Gregory! I haven't read historical fiction in a couple of years and I think it's time to get back to it. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love her books.

      Delete
  11. The Grandparent name is funny. My sister was very upset that her grandson was calling his other grandma 'nona' and not her. I wanted to be called 'Grammy', but doesn't look like I have a say. I read that book when it came out. Sad how women were used as chattel IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a grandma yet - not for a few more years. By then, I'll be so old, they'll just call me Granny.

      Delete
  12. I like to participate in the Hodgepodge too, it's interesting to read the answers ! I think your Maw Maw and Paw paw must be of German origin because in parts of Germany we call the parents Mamma and Papa. I called my father Papa for example and some of my friends called their mother Mamma, I called her the other way Mutti. Perhaps a German immigrant has called his grandparents Mamma and Pappa and it stems from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read, since that post that it also could be of native american origin. With so many cultures, it could be anything. It's just strange. No one here uses those names

      Delete
  13. I'm guessing that the horrific drought in California is over. I have no desire to ride a overboard either. It takes too long for me to heal at this stage of life. Thanks for stopping by my blog page.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for visiting me! My grandparents were grandma and grandpa too. Bowling on Wii can be fun. Your Saturday morning sound wonderful. That dam is too scary. The rain has been crazy this year. We have definitely needed it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts