Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Simple pleasures


I'm up (laying in bed) and listening to my coffee machine gurgle. It is not going fast enough. I NEED my coffee and I need it now. Susie is napping at my feet and the dog lies, beside me. On rainy days,  I could stay like this for hours. Many times, I will say to my husband, "This is the Life." 

These simple pleasures delight my spirit, soul and my senses:

Freshly laundered sheets and blankets. If I was rich - I would want fresh sheets daily on my bed. Maybe not a simple pleasure when you're rich - I wash mine once a week and every other week for the blankets and bedspread comforter due to having pets. I can count on a awesome night's sleep, when I have a freshly made bed, with clean sheets to get into.





Listening to the rain. Maybe it's because we Californians have had so little of the wet stuff, the last 10 years -  I am not sick of it yet and we've had a lot! The dark dreary days and the sound of the rain, hitting the windows and the roof. Especially nice, if you don't have to get out in it.





The smell of morning coffee - and the way it still lingers when you go outside and come back in. Sometimes my house smells like a donut shop, which is strange since we never have donuts or pastries for breakfast. Although, I do have a horrible weakness for donuts. I can only have like 2 a year or I would totally binge out.

When my cat lays on my lap and purrs. She stretches out - her paws spread out and she kneads my lap just a little...

Candles and incense is fun. My favorite incense fragrance is patchouli. It takes me back to my youth, and good times. My husband and I love to just sit, listen to music with our candles and incense.

Watching a infant sleep - their little hands, so sweet and soft, curling ever so slightly. In 30 years, of raising my own sons, and other people's children as a daycare provider and nanny, I have had the absolute pleasure of watching babies sleep. Now potty training - that is a different story!!!




Pacific Ocean

Sitting on the beach of a ocean - and watching the waves. I did this all the time, growing up. Every day after school, I would walk down to the beach and just sit. Many times, I tried to do my homework, but was often distracted by some handsome surfer guys. Throughout the years when my head gets crowded with junk - I would need to go to the beach, and just allow the ocean breezes, to knock some sense into me. Clears my head.




Sacramento River near Dunsmuir

Sitting on the banks of a river - Since living here, I have grown to love and appreciate the Sacramento River. From the mouth of it, winding around the Klamath Mountains, raging down towards towns and valley crops to a thirsty metropolis, to water their fancy green lawns and fill their oversized swimming pools.





Tall trees - I have always lived around the redwood tree, so it's my favorite. The farther into the forest you go, the taller they are - and older they are and when camping among them, I love hearing that sway, top of the redwoods - back and forth - swooshing. I can't describe it - you would have to hear it for yourselves. Equally I get a kick watching Stellar Jays, hop from tree branch to tree branch, bullying every other bird below them.

I love watching the salmon run - The salmon run is the time when salmon, which have migrated from the Pacific ocean, swim to the upper reaches of rivers where they spawn on gravel beds. After spawning, all Pacific salmon die, and the salmon life cycle starts over again. The annual run can be a major event for grizzly bears, California Black and Brown Bears, bald eagles and sport fishermen.

I love that sound of the cracking of a baseball bat, upon entering the stadium - and the smell of peanuts and the field grass is so green.

Ahhhh just to just close my eyes, and relive some of these simple pleasures - is a simple pleasure for sure!







12 comments:

  1. I love all your simple pleasures. Fresh, clean sheets are the best.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you 100% except for the cat and the salmon thing. If I had a cat I would probably agree, and I'd love to see the salmon run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never saw Salmon Run except on the television. Never saw a baseball game for real.
    Your list is beautiful and easy to get happiness from. Yes -- freshly washed sheets and those Donuts look so yummy. Not a coffee drinker but cannot blame those who are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy coffee even though I can't drink as much as I used to.

      Delete
  4. I am jealous of you living close enough to the beach and the redwoods that you can actually visit. I often go to the beach, in my head, when I need to clear it! Here in Kansas the only sounds are the winds when they blow. But that can be a good and comforting sound it is isn't blowing too hard. Good writing today. Good imagery!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is beauty in all places, you just have to look.

      Delete
  5. Debby, I have a weakness for doughnuts too. And like you, I don't eat them that often, or I would eat them every day. You have listed here all my favorite things.....coffee, the ocean, trees, music, candles, and I'm very familiar with the Sacramento River. And the rain!! I'm still watching it with open eyes and lovin' every minute.

    Thanks for this wonderful post, Debby. That forest quote is the best.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri. Yeah since writing this, I am CRAVING donuts.

      Delete
  6. I pass on the cats, candles, and incense. And, I'm not quite sure that freshly laundered sheets can turn the tide, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, you so beautifully took me away to languish for a few peaceful minutes. Your post reminded me that I need to take a step back to appreciate a few of my many simple pleasures.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts