Tuesday, January 10, 2017

When it rains, it pours

West Coast is getting slammed. More to come, sometime today.

Last night I noticed in our back room, water, all over the window - as if it was left open. It wasn't. That's a problem. I looked up toward the ceiling and saw a stain mark. That's a problem.

It's a problem because we had the whole roof replaced this summer AND we replaced every window in the house. We have a 50 yr warranty on the roof and a double warranty of the windows.

I tried not to obsess about it last night. Well, okay...secretly, I did. I kept thinking about it and I started with the sick stomach. I called my husband at work and he said, he would call the roofing company and window company in the morning.

NO problemo. The roofing company was here at 8am and left around 10:30. Leaky roofs are hard to locate. The rain, was coming in, sideways. So it basically snuck in to where the roofer can't find it. He looked and looked and even called another roofer and together, they looked and looked. Ran a hose and no leak. So we're supposed to use bleach water to the stain and the next BIG storm, will get here this afternoon or tonight. More sideways rain. If it sneaks in, then he said, they may have to replace that section of the roof.

OKAY.

Then we called the Window Company - left a message. It was late afternoon and nothing. I got online  to see if we called the correct number and and noticed, that it said the company was CLOSED PERMANENTLY.



We are under warranty - by the manufacturers of the windows - Simonton - but I guess we are out of luck, when it comes to the actual workmanship. Granted, the sneaky rain, might have been a one-time event. If my husband fixes it, will it void out the warranty?  So I contacted Simonton. I haven't heard back from them yet.

What a pisser.


14 comments:

  1. Awe - - I wish that I could send you s little bit of Sunlight from here in New Windsor NY but we are in for rain and sleet any time now. Hope that you get to fix the problem soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could use a break but I'm loving the rain. That means a beautiful spring and summer!

      Delete
  2. Sneaky rain, and they say inanimate objects have no soul.

    I'm getting my roof replaced as I write this. Hopefully, they will not find a lot of rotten wood. You are so dependent on the quality of the workmen.

    I wish you luck with the roof repair. There should be a point of entrance. It's like you have to be a lawyer to know how and when you can protect your property and have a warranty on what was promised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roof issue is not a problem. The company is still around. My husband said he will fix the window. In fact as I write this, the roofing company sent out another guy to check the roof. No more leaks.

      Delete
  3. U have my sympathies, water leaks are hard to find, and a shady installer! Hope it works out with minimal issues. Nothing is ever easy these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will all work out

      Delete
  4. I have heard that is a problem with window places. Something sounds shady with that! Hope you get it worked out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is well. I found them and they fixed it

      Delete
  5. Its one thing or another with home ownership, isn't it? You do the best you can looking for a reputable company and then you can end up being "screwed" if they close and you have to then deal directly with the manufacturer. We heard many a horror story when we were looking for houses to buy and having inspections, including air conditioning companies that sublet the work, never followed through to see if it was done correctly, etc. I hope things get resolved favorably for you!

    I can't imagine a 50 year warranty for a roof though! Best I heard was 25 years when we were in San Diego.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 50 year roof is transferrable if we should sale. Only for one other owner. My husband wanted it. Didn't much make any difference to me.

      Delete
  6. Water can be so damaging. I think I would wait until I got in touch with the window manufacturer before fixing the window. I hope that goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The manufacturer got in touch with the company under their new name - they came out and fixed it - all is well.

      Delete
  7. Leaky roofs and windows suck so much, and it sucks that they say they can't find the leak in fine weather and don't really want to come out in the rain to get on the roof to find the leak. That about the windows is really bloody annoying I hope you hear back from them soon

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts