Wednesday, January 25, 2017

What is your Legacy?




I was stumped, the other day, when my cousin was talking about leaving a legacy. She is a talented artist. Many have bought her paintings -  her legacy is her art and that it will bring happiness to the owner for many years  and long after she has past. She also is a retired educator. She wants to keep touching lives, for the better.

WOW! I have not ever thought about leaving a legacy or having a legacy.  I've been so busy, living life - raising my children to adulthood, working with little ones for 30 years, that I never gave it any thought.

I told her that I guess, my legacy are the things I have taught my children. The rest is fluff. 

Her being an artist, she didn't quite understand me and I couldn't put it into words very good. There was a lull in our conversation.

 I asked my husband. "What is my legacy?" 

What a dear man! He mentioned a few things, that made me get tears in my eyes. (I don't allow myself to cry anymore because when I do, it's hard for me to stop - it triggers me back to when my son died - So I am hard on myself and it works for me)

They were simple things - and I recognized them. I don't need to mention them but I was relieved that I am leaving some part of me behind. We all can't be great artists, or writers or singers, composers, humanitarians, etc. And perhaps, us simple people, start to think after a while, that all we have ever done, on this earth is take up space. But we haven't. We are just as important and our simple legacies are just as beautiful, and will continue to touch lives, even after we have passed.


9 comments:

  1. Interesting question, this was my take on it a few years back, mostly I guess my children will be my legacy...I tell them not to screw it up.

    http://joeh-crankyoldman.blogspot.com/2015/11/i-make-sound-cranky-re-run.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have a legacy to leave. Maybe it's the dogs I've had who have taught each other how to live in a house and be loved. I taught Faulkner, who taught Harper, who taught Franklin, who taught Penelope. No doubt Penelope will teach some other dog. When I'm gone, one dog may be left, who will teach yet another dog.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I am not the only one, who has never really thought of that. One of my "legacies" is that I adore my animals. They are my babies.

      Delete
  3. I think you are leaving much more of a legacy than you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That speaks for all of us...we just live each day and let the legacies fall where they fall.

      Delete
  4. It is nice to leave a part of ourselves behind. We may have not realized but most of us leave a legacy our kids can easily figure out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I always thought - my legacies are my kids.

      Delete
  5. I realize that the legacy I leave behind (if it is even much of one) won't "last" more than a generation or two after me. My son and what ever he decides to share of me to his child(ren). If I am alive long enough for my grand child(ren) to remember me then that will be part of my legacy. I would hope the prayers I'm praying for them right now, prayers I might not see the answers to, will be my legacy when they look back and remember how much I prayed and how often I prayed for them. I would hope that and my faith would be the legacy I leave :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts