Wednesday, January 11, 2017

I don't DO Hollywood anymore

Dean Martin Family



Just because I live in California, does not mean, I'm Star-Stuck like the rest of the country. For me, Hollywood hasn't been classy, since the Reign of the BIG Studios. 1917-1960s. When I was a kid growing up, mom always had the latest Photoplay and other gossip magazines on the coffee table. So I grew up, reading about the scandal when Eddie Fisher left Debbie Reynolds for Elizabeth Taylor. I followed them all back then - when the academy awards came out, it was neat to actually see Fred Astaire or John Wayne on the red carpet via my tv set. Yeah I was pretty star-struck back then.

When we would go down to So Cal, my dad would take us to Hollywood and Beverly Hills. We had a Map of the Stars Home. (I wish I still had that now) It was fun, seeing where Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, Dean Martin, Olivia de Havilland lived. (BTW, did you know she is still alive at 100 years old) - I mean, those were the impressive GREATS of that time. Once we were driving down Mountain Dr, where Dean Martin lived, and his teenage children, in a jeep, came around the corner and almost hit us. They were just like any other kids - joy riding in Beverly Hills. My dad wasn't too happy but my sister and I were ecstatic.

I don't know what happened. I don't feel the same way, like I used to. Maybe I just grew up and most of the Greats have died and the ones we have now, are just not the same. Not that they aren't talented - but with all the special effects they have now, even Douglas Fairbanks Jr and Lillian Gish would be able to come out with a BLOCKBUSTER Hit.

What I don't like - is when they get on their privileged HIGH HORSE and share their political opinion. And yes, that even means if they share the same opinion with me. I don't want to think of them, that way. I honestly do not care what they think. To me, it just shows them to be more self-centered than they already are.

I haven't watched award shows -  in years. Even the music ones. I'm just NOT interested.

That doesn't mean I dislike the movies and all. I just don't follow the the actors or actresses.  I often forget their names.


12 comments:

  1. When these artists take advantage of a public forum to express their political or social commentary, it is there right, of course, but it does alter my image of them and effect there performances for me whether I agree with them or not. It is there right, but it does not enhance their art, to me it diminishes it.

    I don't watch the award shows. This is the only industry that has hundreds of venues to pat themselves on the back. It is an important industry, but not nearly as important as they believe it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debby, I know what you mean, I'm not at all star struck, and I miss the Old Hollywood days when the actresses were a bit more classy. Nel used to live in Hollywood and sometimes walk down and see all the people when The Oscars were happening. Now, I wouldn't mind seeing Brad Pitt. ;)

    I hope the new year is being kind to you.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, some of the men - Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Harrison Ford, Denzil Washington...just to name a few.

      Delete
  3. I don't care for political commentary either. I think it has more to do is you watch television, movies to get away from all of it, and bam it is in your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want it in my face.

      Delete
  4. I agree with most of what you say. Although I do like to hear their political opinions. Especially when they are the same as mine!! LOL! But even more so I like to see how agitated it has made 'others' I'm not much of a movie person so I don't even know a lot of these 'stars'. I think what has happened is we now have 24/7 news so we know more about them than we used to. None have gotten worse, it is just more reported now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be its all better left unsaid. Just don't want to hear their platforms.

      Delete
  5. I was remarking to hubby the other night that Meryl Streep got presented that award that she did, a lifetime achievement award. She chose to say what she chose to say and she had the right to say what she chose to say. In 20 years, if she is still alive, the current president elect will be out of office but there will be people that remember how she chose to use her words in a public forum. I think I would have chosen different words to express gratitude to be able to work in a career that I loved and was good at and was able to make a "good" living from it rather than the words she chose to use. But that's just me, I guess.

    Years ago (36 years ago to be exact) we decided to include Hollywood as part of our honeymoon adventures. The actual Hollywood is certainly not portrayed when one thinks of Hollywood. Our hotel in the midst of Hollywood was filled with cockroaches and hookers outside trying to make a living. We checked out early in the morning (like 2 a.m.) Never had the interest to go back either :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Betty,I wish I could of warned you. Hollywood is pretty much skid row. It started it's decline in the late 60's.

      Delete
  6. I am also not into all the so called famous people now days because so many of them have no class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally class-less and why would I care how they feel. You're so right.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts