Sunday, January 08, 2017

A dark, stormy night




We are getting slammed by what we used to call A Pineapple Express. A warmer winter storm, that brings a lot of rain, wind, mud and flooding. It's scientific name is Atmospheric river. Pineapple Express storms are the most commonly represented and recognized type of atmospheric rivers; they are given the name due to the warm water vapor plumes originating over the Hawaiian tropics that follow a path towards California. Historically, these storms have caused major flooding throughout California for hundreds of years. They are nothing new - just that, we now have freaked out media coverage, that feeds off the potential for doom and gloom. They also like to promote FEAR.

FLOOD WATCH

MASSIVE STORM

EPIC STORM

LIFE THREATENING 
POWER OUTAGES

FLOODING

              DANGER DANGER DANGER







And the State of California still INSISTS we are in a DROUGHT. 


Yesterday it snowed, which is a rare event here. It was a beautiful site to wake up to.









9 comments:

  1. Need to be careful to overcome these storms...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We "weathered" it okay

      Delete
  2. If there is a storm, I like to stay home nice and safe, I don't understand people going out in a storm if they don't really have to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. Home is where I want to be.

      Delete
  3. I don't like storms of any kind. Stay safe! And warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm safe and warm. I don't mind them in the day - its the evenings when it's dark, and I am alone is when I get a bit anxious.

      Delete
  4. Debby, I tried following you but was unable to do so. It said,
    "The website declined to show this webpage" I will try again later. :)

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm I don't know why.

      Delete
  5. So pretty with the storm! I remember years ago living in Southern California, we had massive rain one day; flooded streets, etc. People were so panicky with the next day being forecast the same amount of potential rain that businesses closed, schools closed. And you guessed it. We got no rain. It would be nice to see that the drought is over. I have been in that state several times during drought times; not fun to see the devastating effects of it and to wonder when/if the rain is coming. Stay safe and warm!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts