Wednesday, December 28, 2016

New Year's Eve

notice the crucifix above the door frame?



New Year's Eve is my least favorite holiday. My dad used to call it "amateur night." It does not predominate my world as it did back when I was young - 

I can escape all the hooey,  because we don't have cable (I hate commercials) All of our programming comes from our own selected list from Netflix. I don't like watching the morning shows; or the New Year's Eve countdown shows - like I need their help counting down? I don't want to hear all the bad stuff that happened in the previous year, or what possible bad stuff will happen in the next. I'm one of these, Lets-just-wait-for-it-to-happen kinda gal. It's like the media wants to scare you, worry you, basically FREAK YOU OUT. I don't know why - if we really did all freak out, we wouldn't be watching their news shows anymore. It would be Mr Rogers 24/7 in the mental ward. 

Our New Year's Eve is usually a normal evening. I like normal or regular. I am secure in that. I find comfort in it. I am not expected to do anything.  Some years, we'll have a bottle of wine or some champagne and some pizza rolls and then some years, NADA.  It depends. The last New Year's Eve, we went out, was 2013 and it snowed which is rare for this part of Northern California. We were at a friends house. They had a bunch of us over and it was fun. Just a bunch of regular/normal people spending a regular normal New Year's Eve. 

This New Year's Eve, we are going out. No it's not what you think - It is the last evening of Hanukkah and the Chaplain at the Veterans Home asked my husband to do a Hanukkah presentation for those interested. It will take only 45 minutes. I go along with my husband and I'll help a little but mostly this is where his heart is. Then, we'll come home, probably get into our Jammie's and watch some Netflix. We may or may not stay up - depends on how tired we are. 

What I do like about New Years, is the New Year. I love the fresh start - and only on Jan 1, is it a new day, a new month and a new year all on the same day.






4 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I hate loud parties where everyone feel compelled to have fun...much prefer a quiet evening at home or with just a few friends...Never liked NYE or loud parties, even when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a introvert and proud of it.

      Delete
  2. My days of staying up late are long gone, seeing in the new year is not something I bother with anymore I am an early to bed person

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even remember when the last time I "made" it to midnight; usually asleep by 10 p.m. We watch the countdown when the ball drops in New York when it is live, so midnight there, 10 o'clock here, and call it good to go. Hubby played in bands years ago, always played of course on New Year's Eve. Always on the watch out for drunk drivers as by the time he tore down his equipment it was the time the bars were closing. Thankfully he always got home safe.

    I do welcome the new fresh start of a year also. I do hope 2017 is a lot kinder that the end of 2016 was for us.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts