Thursday, November 24, 2016

My Caffinated RANT on the History of Thanksgiving




I'm old school and proud of it. I do not like hearing that the Thanksgiving story we learned as children, was all lies. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. I am a cynic - so I don't automatically BELIEVE everything I hear, read...My inquiring mind always wonders, what the authors agenda is.

I was reading the article, Everything You Were Taught About 'The First Thanksgiving' Is A Lie.

 Abraham Lincoln, (one of my heros) basically made the whole, story up because he was trying desperately to preserving the Union. The story, was actually about the Treaty of 1621 signed between the Wampanoag tribe and the Pilgrims of Plymouth colony.  "The treaty was brokered by Native American Chief Yellow Feather Oasmeequin and Governor John Carver. It was essentially an agreement that both sides would defend the other from attack and find a way to work together towards the success of both cultures. It was, in essence, a very primitive version of NATO. The familiarity that this treaty enabled meant that the Native Americans and the pilgrims saw a good deal of each other and shared more than one meal together as a matter of course." the article stated.

It goes on to say, this "truth" should not spoil your day- but that you should, "remember the bad." and do not be fooled any longer, believing that the "white" settlers had this harmonious relationship with the native Americans. They didn't - and that the bloody colonization of the Europeans, is the reality.

The way I see it, there was wrongs, from both side and no side was innocent. Of course that is not ever mentioned. On one side of my family, we have Cherokee. Of course when I did my DNA, it came up, that I am 100% European. I was asked by a young person, if it bothered me, that I came from European heritage. NO. This young person, felt I should be SHAMED because of what they did.

Quite the contrary. I wasn't there - and neither were any of the so-called historians who are now rewriting history to further their own agenda. (The cynic in me) Much of it is oral history and I know, within genealogy, a lot of "oral history" within a family is a bunch of hooey! It all happened a long time ago, and things have changed. Yes, they all had their prejudices - both sides and yes it was ignorant but it is what it is. We have fortunately evolved from all of that. Just let it be.  If it hadn't been Europeans coming over, the invasion would of happened anyway, from another Continent. Humankind, and not just white Europeans, shared the same lust for power, and exploration.

Honestly, when I think of Thanksgiving, I think of Abraham Lincoln more than I do the Pilgrims and Native Americans. I think of families being torn apart during the Great Civil War. I think of American Families, throughout history, always trying to make it home, for Thanksgiving. It's an American Holiday that I appreciate. I think of those Norman Rockwell paintings - Heck, I even think of the Waltons!











2 comments:

  1. Whatever the really story no longer matters in my opinion

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts