Thursday, October 27, 2016

The WAR on Women

 Uniform conforms to special services(soldiers) of the NATO countries.
Source: ©  | Dreamstime Stock Photos



This will no doubt piss a lot of women off. 

I can remember back, when women did not have the benefits they do today. I guess, living in California, and always having a union job, where everyone was paid according to a union contract, male or female - it didn't matter.

So maybe it is more in the corporate world, executive level and yes, that isn't right. My inquiring mind wonders...How do we REALLY know, if a woman is not paid as much as man.  Perhaps he is better educated and more qualified? Is this war on women, really about a bunch of women who just want special privileges? I know, "OUCH!"

I am the mother of sons. When Navy was serving his country, he would tell me how the young females would be working the same job as a man, yet they were allowed to get off, from work duty that a male sailor would not be able to. I don't think that is fair. He worked on the busy dangerous, flight deck of a aircraft carrier. Everyone has to work as a team. If you can't cut it, then they shouldn't be on that team. And that's for the guys, too! What's so unfair about that?

Women want to serve as in the Navy Seals or in Special Forces. I think that is really cool - ONLY if they earn it. No special privileges.

I really do not like a "Draft." however, if they should, one day, order up a draft, then all women, should be drafted as well. I believe, women after the age of 18,  should have to sign up for selective service, just as the young men do. 

Did you know, that If a young man, between the ages of 18-26 doesn't not register with the selective service,  he may be ineligible for opportunities that may be important to his future. He must register to be eligible for federal student financial aid, state-funded student financial aid in many states, most federal employment, some state employment, security clearance for contractors, job training under the Workforce Investment Act, and U.S. citizenship for immigrant men. Men, born after December 31, 1959, who aren't registered with Selective Service won't qualify for federal student loans or grant programs. This includes Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), Direct Stafford Loans/Plus Loans, National Direct Student Loans, and College Work Study.

Penalties for Failing to Register Failing to register or comply with the Military Selective Service Act is a felony punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 or a prison term of up to five years, or a combination of both. 

See Benefits and Penalties of Selective Service

I know a little about this - Foodie dropped out of HS, and took off. I just figured he registered - We didn't find out that he hadn't, until a few years ago (well past the age of 26) that he never did. Actually, he says he did but they have no record. We were not fully aware of the consequences. Fortunately, nothing ever came of it - He just could not get a college loan and he cannot work Federal, State or County jobs.

Women, get a pass on all of this. WHY?  Until that is changed,  young women, will always be eligible for the college loans,  jobs etc. Just by not being a male.

REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS

That's what it REALLY is about! As one who leans Libertarian, I do believe the government should just stay out of all of that. That means, defunding Planned Parenthood. Just stay out of all of it. And do not criminalize a woman's choice. That is WRONG. 

So, you may be right now, thinking I am a disgrace to my gender. I'm just a Mom who has sons. And from my view,  I believe there is a war on young men, to keep them down - punish the young men of today for what men did decades ago.

Just my humble opinion.

8 comments:

  1. You've brought out some good points. If men can be drafted, so should women. The same is true for women being able to slack off in the Navy that are your son's coworkers. You may have passed your views of women down to your son.

    I will respectfully disagree with you about there not being systemic discrimination against women. I've been a career woman and the family support. The game is played different when you aren't the little woman at home.

    Economically, California for the most part has a better social support system and economy than other parts of the country. There are places where men and women live on minimum wage and there is not as much equity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, for respectfully disagreeing and yes, California for the most part does have a better support system, and sometimes it is hard for me to relate to what is going on, in other parts of the country, in regards to discrimination against women.

      How is the game played differently when you aren't the "little woman" at home. I honestly want to understand.

      I've been both "little woman" at home and a single mom. I still have neverbeen kept down, due to my gender. OR maybe I have, and was too busy working to identify it. MOst of my working career, I was self employed (16 years) and12 years as a Nanny. I loved both my jobs. Before that, I worked at Macys, and everyone was paid according to merit - and before that I had a really good union job in San Francisco working for a well-known dental insurnace company.

      Anyway, thanks for the dialog. I am always open - to be enlightened.

      Delete
    2. The discrimination is subtle. The one that is the worse is another woman declaring she would never work for another woman because they are such bitches. The woman fails to recognize that this includes her ability to be promoted to management. It is also used by people who are playing up to those in power that they would never thwart their authority to get special treatment.

      I had two tremendous bosses when I worked one was male, the other was female. I had other bosses along the way. Two of the worst was a female and the other a male.

      Another area is appearance. I can understand why an underwear model would not include my 60 year old self. But, being promoted as a woman helps if you are attractive, slim, blonde and youthful. Whereas men can move up the ladder and possess none of those qualities. I'm not black but I do think blacks are discriminated because of their color. I think people who do not know they are being racists do it.

      The need to take care of your family. I retired with a year of sick leave so I did not abuse the policy. But I sweated bricks to have good attendance and juggle the needs of people going to the doctor, etc. I did work with several men who had the same juggle. However, unless you work for a woman, being pregnant or planning pregnancies can prevent you from being hired. I know of more than one human resource person who prominently displayed a picture of their family to elicit someone volunteering their family status. They did not hire women with children because they were afraid of absenteeism.

      I did not think of the "little woman" comment as being negative when I wrote it. I think work at home is valid. I am a full-time, unpaid caregiver now. I can say my work is very valuable.

      It's the politics of working for many years.
      When you get close to ten years at most jobs, they try to get you to leave. It vests you with their retirement by federal law. I am unusual in that I worked at one place for many years and survived the periodic house cleaning that most work sites will do.

      Delete
    3. I'll probably have to write another post - I've been thinking about you said, and I am recalling, at least 2 times, that I was discriminated against because i was a woman and of course, back in the 70's, I had several "big bosses" that tried to overpower me. One was in the stairwell - when he accosted me and kissed me against my wishes. Iwas too afraid of the "Good Ole Boy club" So I did nothing and put in my 2 week notice.

      As for the "little woman at home" comment - it didn'tbother me. It is really hard to offend me. I have thick skin.

      Delete
    4. One year this coworker sexually harassed me so bad. I had to play it cool; I didn't want a big stink because it would probably be me that had to leave. Irony was that the man eventually took no for an answer. He was just lonely. All I could think was I was glad I wasn't born an incredibly beautiful woman but ordinary. Imagine the hassles.

      Delete
    5. Beauty has it's price.

      Delete
  2. I'm not pissed off. I think that if we have a draft, then women should be drafted, too. My daughter works in what's considered a man's field of endeavor. She's dealt with a lot of harassment that the men don't have to take. She's always been unusually focused and hardworking. If she doesn't make as much money as the men in similar jobs, it would be easy to tell if she's underpaid because she's unmarried, doesn't have children, and has more education and experience than most people her age.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Ann said, above - the discrimination is subtle. I am giving it a lot of thought, about women in the work place. I do remember how dog eat, it can be. That's why I opted to spend the rest ofmy work years, working with children. :-)

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts