Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Back in the day...





I was laying in bed the other night, thinking about the medical marijuana and how times have changed -  I remembered that I smoked my first joint when I was in the 6th grade. I can't believe that I did that. It was 1966. I believe if I lived somewhere else, during that time, like the mid-west...maybe I wouldn't have done that, so young. We had just moved from San Francisco's Haight Ashbury to Pacifica, a little coastal town south of San Francsico. The hippie movement was just starting and I was a teeny bopper. I didn't do it all the time until a year later in the 7th grade. By then it was 1967 - the summer of Love was just a mere 20 miles from me. I couldn't help, but get caught up in all of that.

My ex husband and I used to smoke pot and it happened we lived next door to a guy who was growing in his backyard. So, I guess he just thought it was best to keep us happy, so we got our pot for free. It wasn't that great, but we were young and it was free. Mid 70's, my brother-in-law had cancer and he couldn't tolerate the chemo, so his Doctor told him to smoke pot. So him and my sister, would come over and we'd smoke.

By 1979 I totally stopped because I was pregnant and after that, I just lost interest or basically GREW UP. I just didn't have the taste for it anymore. I was a young Mom and I needed to have all my facilities.

So here it is: I am 62 years old and a senior citizen. I haven't smoked weed since 1979.  Laws have changed so much, that you can now go to a doctor and they write you a prescription. Only, it is not a CVS pharmacy you go into. Some of the names of them are just dumb. Gypsy Dragon, The Bloom Room, Love Shack, The Green Door, Buena Leaf, Captain Jacks, King Kush, and Air Field Supply Company.

Now mind you, this little old senior citizen...ME has to walk into these places...alone. The husband cannot come in with me. I keep putting it off. I think I am intimidated.

I imagine, that with names like those -  there will be beads hanging in the doorway - Ravi Shankar playing his sitar - strobe lights and lava lamps and lots of hanging green plants on macrame hangers... The smell of patchouli will permanate the inside air. The clerks will be young - reminiscent of the 60's.

The one I went to in Colorado, was a very UPSCALE. The ones in San Francisco, Berkeley, LA are mostly UPSCALE. However, I live in rural California. They are not upscale. They basically are head-shops.

 So, maybe tomorrow I will go and JUST DO IT.

PEACE/OUT!

2 comments:

  1. Do it! You need it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    I have never really smoked pot. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I don't think it is the panacea drug so many think it is.

    The war on drugs has been a failure. I have always felt they should just register hard drug users and provide it cheap. One big fuel to the industry is the huge amounts of money to be made.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts