Friday, April 22, 2016

Senior thoughts

How can someone who used to be so cool, become a senior citizen? Totally blows me away at times. When did this all happen? And the real deal is, I like it. Is it possible that I have finally come to AGE? Was I a senior-citizen trapped in a 9 month old body?

Oh how humiliating - topless at the beach!


It's not that bad. In fact, I believe there are some freedoms, we have, that I didn't,  when I was younger.

I can now really SAY what I want if I want to. Or I can stay silent and let everyone try and guess what I am thinking. Just give the LOOK and everyone gets nervous.

I can do dumb things and think nothing about it - Who cares? I don't.

I can wear shorts and not look so good in them anymore and once again, Who cares? If it keeps me cooler then,  so be it. I'm not supposed to look HOT at age 62. and those that do, so  BULLY FOR YOU! You have to work at it and the beauty of being 62 is, that I can choose or not choose to look HOT. Frankly, the husband thinks I look HOT in my bathrobe. So there!

I don't have to no longer compare myself with other women. I tried never to do that, when I was young, but come on, lets face it, we all do. Here I would be, looking good and then some really hot woman, stands beside me and there I am comparing myself to her. I WON'T DO THAT anymore, not even comparing myself to other senior women. We're all unique and should never be compared.

I am finally be the real ME I have always wanted to be. I'm not competing for a man, or a high powered career, I don't have to worry about getting pregnant, or trying to be the best Mom in the PTA. I don't have to say I'm sorry for everything, or make excuses. I'm good as long as I just tell the truth. I can't help it, if the other person can't handle it.

I can cut my fingernails short. I used to love long nails but man, they are a drag the older you get. I still wear polish and they look just fine, to me.

I can still have braids and long hair, even if it is gray. And I might add, a natural, God-given gray, not from a bottle. Can you believe it, but young women now are dying their hair gray. See? They're jealous of us senior women and want what we have. But dying your hair, won't give you the senior discounts, age spots, varicose veins, or cataracts - No you have to EARN those.

At age 62, I do think about death and dying - I am the only one left of my birth family. My sister died young at age 56. She was one, who worked herself into a frenzy, to try and look young. She bought clothes that were too small for her - clothes that didn't do anything for her mature body. Just made her look older. For some of us, it is a losing battle. She drove me crazy at times, telling me how everyone thinks she looks like she is 40. Or that she wore a size 4. Then I would see her, and wonder...does she even look at herself in the mirror? What is THAT all about? She just never could come to terms with it. When a clerk at the store asked if she was a senior (they gave a 55 and up discount) she denied it. I mean, that is some serious vanity going on there. So she died young, never to grow old. I guess that worked best for her. I want to LIVE. I want to grow old. I have a 97 year old Aunt, that is my role model.

now that's a hot senior at age 97. 


So I'm happy. Yeah I still will walk into a clothing department and wander over to the junior section. My fashion tastes are still the same. I just can't fit in those clothes like I used to. So, am I going to get my panties in a bunch because I can't fit into those skinny jeans, or do I just go for comfort, granny jeans and all? Who cares, right?

Here's the husband and I (with the boots in the middle) in Nov. 


PS. Last week, I went to the eye doctor and was SHOCKED when he told me I had stage 1 cataracts. I admit, it bothered me for a couple of days. Once I got through the shock of it, and reserached it, I'm fine. It ain't the end of the world and living now in the 21st century, medical technology keeps improving. I'll be just fine.







10 comments:

  1. I can completely relate to this post! Sometimes it hits me like a ton of bricks in the face that I am 59 years old but for the most part I am enjoying just being myself for a change! I don't try to look any younger just the best I can for my age. Once I can retire and stop working with all these younger women it will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all we can do. Enjoy life the way we should without all the trappings of youth

      Delete
  2. Love your attitude. I am always baffled by people who spend a lot of time and energy trying to look young--as though looking young is the same thing as staying young. My attitude on aging has always been, "Consider the alternatives." And there are definitely A LOT of benefits to getting older. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather feel young than look young.

      Delete
  3. Loved your insights on aging. I am pushing 60 this year and I'm fine with that. I figure I will never be this young again, so enjoy it now.

    What is behind you in the last photo? It looks like an interesting bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trudy, the "interesting bridge in the last photo is the Sundail Bridge in Redding Ca. (Northern California)

      Delete
    2. Way cool! I looked up images of the bridge. Beautiful.

      Delete
  4. I love your attitude. At 43 (which I NEVER tell anyone), I just got my first pair bifocals. Like you with the cataracts, I was stricken a bit, at first, but decided it's okay. I just got married two years ago, and we joke that we married in time to fall apart together.
    My grandma lived to 101, but your aunt looks a lot more spry than she did in the end. And YOU LOOK GREAT! Loving life always comes through on a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny about falling apart together.

      Delete
  5. Great attitude and a good reminder we should enjoy and embrace the age we are.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts