Thursday, April 21, 2016

Roofs, Repairs, Renovations and Retirement




Hey I'm nailing it today! 

Just so happens, we need a new roof. Man they are expensive. Ours will cost us a little over $11,000. I mean, I could go to Europe with that kind of money. Oh no, we have to buy a roof. Fun! So we decided, that since that will be coming in June (they are backed up) we might as well, do some other repairs that are needed.

* Gutters

* The husband plans to complete the hardwood floors down the hallway. (Not laminate)

* I will FINALLY get a new stove and microwave to complete my retro looking kitchen.

* New carpet for the living room and master bedroom.

* A new tub for the hall bath.

* And possibly new vinyl windows or at least replace the living room windows and repair the others. That gas that is in-between the double panes is cloudy and needed to be restored.

* French drains for outside.

* new ceiling fan and light fixtures for the living room, entry and hallway.

And with all of that, we are still trying to paint, down the hallway. I think I already mentioned our office (formally Navy's old room) is done. Except for the door. We are soooooooo slow.

Am I excited with all the repairs and renovations, etc? Not really, but I am sure I will start getting excited when it actually happens. Right now we are waiting for the bank to approve our equity credit line. I feel nervous...I just can't wait for it to be done.

The appraiser came out last week...

Next year, we'll work on the outside - the yards. The drought really killed a lot of plants and our lawn looks terrible, although I don't know if fixing the lawn is a good idea with our dog. We want her to enjoy the yard without restrictions. It's like when, some people have this beautiful living room but no one can enjoy it but company. I don't like that. So we'll try and plant and make the yard functional for a dog with safe plants etc and also pleasing to the eye for us.

Then hopefully, we'll be done. Then we can get old, and not have to do any of the major stuff during our retirement.  We had a new HVAC put in 4 years ago.

Lets hear it for R.





10 comments:

  1. WOW those are some big R's. I feel your pain. We did lots of R's recently too. Gutted the master bath and have a brand new one, all new carpet upstairs and in our master bedroom, the half bath got a face lift, and 44 new windows replaced the originals which were rotten. We also need a new roof but we can't seem to find an honest roofer. They all seem to scream RIPOFF, by wanting to file insurance claims and lie about storm damage. WTH?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 44 new windows is major.

      Delete
  2. Wow - that is a lot of work, but I'm sure it will be beautiful!
    I've never lived anywhere long enough to do all that, and never owned a house. For me, if things aren't what I want, moving is the answer - and possibly cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving sounds real good...

      Delete
  3. Renovations--definitely not my area of expertise. Or even my idea of fun. I can't hit a nail straight, and my greatest handyman achievement is assembling a bookcase. I wish your husband all the best, and I hope all the work goes well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colin. It's not my husband's cup of tea either but once it's done, we'll both be happy.

      Delete
  4. Sounds busy. We do everything DIY around here and I think we are getting to old for that crap so I am hoping to win a big pile of money to get the rest of the house fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to DIY as well, and there are still some things the husband will do, like the wood floors, but lifting is hard and roofing is way above his DIY talents.

      Delete
  5. That is so overwhelming. I hope I outlive our roof, but the neighbor's Birch trees have other ideas. *augh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neighbor has a willow tree that hangs on our side and the roots like our plumbing....that will be an issue one day.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts