Monday, April 18, 2016

Newspapers




I miss newspapers the way they used to be. As a child, my Mom always subcribed to the San Francisco Chronicle, a morning paper. Occasionally she would subscribe to the Examiner but only when they had a special. It just wasn't the Chron. When I was an adult, it was the natural thing to do - since I am a morning person, who loves to sit, drink coffee and read the morning paper.

I live 200+ miles to the north of San Francsico now, and while I could, subscribe I choose not to. It's just not the same. I loved hearing the paper slam against the sidewalk or the porch and on occasion, hit the window and twice, I heard a CRACK. Uh oh, the paper went through the window. Good times, good times.

I'd always read the weather first - weather was very important in our house, because Dad was a contractor. I still am into the weather now. Then I would glance over the headlines - but my favorite was the sports page. Reading the baseball standings - My second favorite was reading Herb Caen. I would read some of the comics, the daily horoscope and then get on with my day, folding the front page so I could take it with me and read at work.

Two of my sons, were paperboys, for the San Mateo Times. Foodie had it first, and then passed it down to Navy. That was an afternoon paper and was to be delievered by 5 pm or they'd get a phone call and MOM would be out in the car, helping to deliver the papers in a rush. On Saturdays, the paper would go out in the morning. EARLY. Seems, I always had to get them up and push them, to get it done. Sometimes we would run out of rubber bands, so they had to be folded. Yeah, Mom would help! When they finally retired from the newspaper, I was sad. The end of an era.

I get my news daily.. I read the digital newspaper online. Not the same. Plus it's a local paper and I also get with the package, a subscription to the Washington Post plus with social media, I mean, you would have to be living under a rock, to not know what is going on. Sometimes, I wouldn't mind living under a rock.


8 comments:

  1. I loved it when most of The Washington Post for Sunday was delivered on Saturday evening. We could read the comics and start the crossword puzzle. The front page arrived Sunday morning and was good reading after church.

    Love,
    Janie, who lives under a rock most of the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get out from under that rock and read a newspaper! :-)

      Delete
  2. It certainly makes a rock seem a bit comfortable. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post brings back memories of living with my grandparents when I was in third and fourth grade. The smell of newspaper and coffee. I liked the green pages, which had the comic strips, Dear Abby, and word scrambles. My second favorite was the Entertainment section, where I would pour over the movie reviews. Thanks for taking me back. I love the paper through the window incident:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smells are very important reminders of our past. I loved the real Dear Abbey. Oh and Ann Landers. They were twins you know.

      Delete
  4. I love camping and have done quiet a bit of this throughout Australia. I would love to see Yellowstone National Park one of these days. On my last visit to the States I went to Yosemite NP and I think I have a very similar photo to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yosemite could be a day trip for us so we can go anytime. I like the off season the best.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts