Monday, April 18, 2016

Loving the Outdoors


Lindamar beach - Pacifica


My dad was an "outdoor-kind-of man." Fishing, hunting, camping, hiking...exploring. At that time, while I enjoyed it a little, I was more into boys. If boys were there, or somewhere near, I loved the outdoors. We went to a lot of places, growing up. Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park...even fished in Yellowstone Lake. Of course we grew up on the coast so when the bass would run, every dad in the neighborhood would get in their trucks, and hurry down to the beach. We'd have a big bon fire at the end of the day, watching the sunset.

No this is NOT Marsha from the Brady Bunch. It's me, about 16 with Yellowstone river in background. 



God knew what he was doing, when he gave me 3 sons. My whole life has been spent, appreciating the outdoors, UP CLOSE and PERSONAL. From, safe, easy camping at campgrounds, to roughing it on BLM land. (bureau of land management) No toilets, not even a pit one. No showers, no running water. Now while it sounds gross, you learn ways to deal with it. No it's not perfect, but if you want to REALLY enjoy the outdoors and get away from people, you have to go THAT FAR!

Fishing trip with Dad - My catch


I've seen and heard bears, bob cats, and wild hogs, meander through our camp at night. Exciting and scary, at the same time. As I get older, I like to just sit and listen...commune with nature. Sit under the shade of a huge redwood tree or Ponderosa Pine and watch the stellar jays, fly from tree to tree. I love watching the art of fly fishing at the river. I saw that movie, A River Runs Through it, with a very young Brad Pitt and fell in love with fly fishing. Although, I have not learned that yet, it is on my bucket list to do one day. Meanwhile, it is so peaceful to watch. So quiet...

one of the many waterfalls at Whiskeytown Lake

I'm not as good of a hiker, as I used to be. I can't climb over big rocks and boulders so I miss out on seeing the waterfalls. I'm thankful I did a lot of that, when I was younger.

Yosemite



Last October, the husband and I took off in our van, to Yosemite. We camped one night in a designated camp spot in Yosemite and the other nights, on BLM land and one night in a small town motel. This year, we are planning to stay at a fire-guard station in El Dorado County in August. They have turned it into this tiny cabin. You have to pack it in and pack it out.

Your adventure awaits....



At the side of our house, sits a 34 foot motorhome. We never use it., In fact, we are planing to sell it soon. It was fun, taking it out but we found, we didn't enjoy sitting in a campground full of RV's, listening to the hum of all the generators. I will say, in the off season, it is cozy and it does allow for camping (if you call that camping) in the rain or colder weather since you have all the conviences of home, right there. I don't like sleeping on the ground anymore - and I admit, digging a hole to go potty, just isn't my thing. The husband is fixing up our van, so we can sleep inside and we even have a portable potty. We have cots now, to sleep on in our tent if not using the van. I also can only take a couple of nights camping.














12 comments:

  1. I still love hiking, although I can't do it much. I think I've realized I like the *idea* of camping more than I actually enjoy camping. But I won't get rid of my tent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there - I like the idea of camping more than anything. I hate to do all that packing. Ugh!

      Delete
  2. A bonfire on the beach at night… lovely. I like camping, especially since my husband does all the cooking and cleanup when we camp while I get to sit in a lawn chair and read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband helps pretty good.

      Delete
  3. I'm really not an outdoor kind of person. Hotels with room service is my speed. But those pictures of Yosemite are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I like hotels and room service, too.

      Delete
  4. I have never really been a camper. I love being outside in nature though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets old at times. I can't take it for a week anymore. A couple of nights, and I am done.

      Delete
  5. Ahh...that took me back to the days of traveling out west in a van. We were newlyweds, a musician and a poet. Those were the days, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you told us that the photo was not of Marsha from the Brady Bunch because at first glance I thought it was Marsha, just saying.
    I am not an out doors person, neither are either of my parents which may be why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just that picture - for some reason it makes me look like Marsha Brady

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts