Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Decorating or Bust




The past 5-6 years, we had our 3 adult children, taking up residence in our humble abode. We didn't think it would last as long as it did. The last 2 years, the husband and I gave up trying to fix the house up. I tried more than he did. It got to the point, I hated having people over. My sofa was thrashed, my carpet needs replacing, the walls needed painting - the lighting needs to be updated and more.

Overwhelming to say the least.

Last month they all left the nest! You won't see me crying in my morning coffee over it. I did that already, the first time they left home. Okay I admit, I was so excited I could not sleep at night, due to all the decorating in my sleep. The husband had gotten complacent and he was dreading all the work.

One of the first things we did, was pull everything out of our storage (saved $45 a month) and put it all in our garage. Now our garage is a mess. But we're working on it. Then we moved our desk and office stuff into the room that used to be our office. I cleaned the carpet and it came out great. My husband painted. Now you might say, that painting a room, is a 2-3 day job. I wish. My dad was a painting contractor and he could knock out a room in a day or day and half. My dear husband, would paint one wall and then stop and do something else that needs to be done. We ran out of paint - so that took him a day to get. The closet doors are still not back on yet!

I get impatient - I guess I think we are younger and more spry than we used to be. I still feel spry...until I actually do something. That is one of the parts of getting older that sucks. You have all these decorating ideas - and it takes FOREVER!

Mid month, I dragged him to the Home show, hoping to inspire him and talk to roofers, because we need a new roof and this is the year! Lucky us! So last week we had roofers give us estimates and we have made our choice. I have buyers remorse and we haven't spent a dime yet. So is putting on a new roof, considered Decorating? Probably not but it's a biggie.

I will get this house the way I want if it kills me -

Things that still need to be Done:



paint the hall way
paint the hall bathroom and cabinets
paint the back bedroom and make it a craft/sewing room
paint our bedroom and master bath
paint the laundry room.

We're buying paint that lasts 25 years so we won't have to do it ever again!



18 comments:

  1. Reworking a house is a huge job. We need to be careful in all the things what we do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not kidding! Glad to see you back.

      Delete
  2. Paint that lasts 25 years! Hope you'll like the color in 2041. But maybe it's like shoes -- the older I get the better the shoes I buy so the better they feel and the better they last. And I like them as long as they last. I'm The Bookwright. Just stopped by from A to Z. Glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That won;t be my problem. I'll be dead by then.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean. A year ago now our kitchen was being re-done. We still need to do a second layer of paint and do the scurting board. Ithink we have got to used to it being nearly done that it has become normal.
    AGCreativeBlog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I also painted my kitchen and yes, I still have some touch up to do. It is a never ending job.

      Delete
  4. Good for you for getting it started! I have tons of ideas and every room in the house needs painting! I haven't lifted a finger! Maybe this summer......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took us a few years...but we're in it, full swing.

      Delete
  5. Wow. I do not have a decorating bug. I hung some stuff on the walls, but don't really care about the color.
    My "decorating" is more like "cleaning". But I agree, getting older sucks. I actually feel my hips when I stand up now.
    Kudos to you for getting it done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You feel your hips? Wow.

      Delete
  6. Your blog title drew me in, and your circumstances (home renovation) kept me here. We are in the SAME boat. I can commiserate with you. Our lists match. I am dreading the painting. Ugh. I'm home all day. I'm thinking it will fall to me to get going on THAT project, and I am not good at painting at all! I wish you the best as your tackle your house, one project at a time.

    I'm visiting from the A-Z Challenge. You can find me at http://denisebennorth.blogspot.com/; I'm writing Affirmations for Intentional Living.

    Thanks! Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh is right. Misery loves company! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for visiting my page, glad I inspired you.

    Looks like you have plenty on the to do list.

    Painting can be fun, but time consuming.

    For everyone here, stop by and take a peak at my A-Z Challenge at
    http://lettersfrompaul1960.blogspot.com/2016/04/a-z-challenge-names-and-places-in-bible_3.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time son left home, I cried for weeks. Second time I had a few tears when he left. Third time (and last probably) it was a hug and that was about it :)

    Glad you have the house back to yourself! Now the fun of taking it back for yourselves and doing what you want to do with it.

    We just had a new roof put on the house we bought (we bought it as is at a good price). It is sobering that it is a 30 year roof. We won't have to put another roof on more than likely in our lifetime.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There won't be a THIRD TIME.

      Delete
  9. Me and decorating a not a good mix, why because I am so bloody lazy and the same can be said for Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well see, that is what the husband and I struggle with. Laziness. We do it, EVENTUALLY and now, we are really doing it.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts