Saturday, April 02, 2016

B is for Baseball

Baseball teaches you about Life



Spring is baseball and I am looking forward to another San Francisco Giants season.

I've been a Giants fan for as long as I can remember. My mom was a Giants fan and we would go to the games during the day. Back then in the 60's, they would have "Ladies Day" every Wednesday it free. Free is always a good thing!

Many say baseball is too slow for them. EXACTLY. You want to sit in the heat of summer, sweating and getting your blood pressure up? I don't. That is why baseball is great for the summer. Plus, it's a game I can listen to on the radio. I don't have to watch it. Whereas football and other sports, it's best to watch it. Baseball, I can paint the house, do gardening, just have it on - perfect companion on those Lazy Hazy Days of Summer. I love camping and listening to the game. I especially LOVE the sound of the bats and before a game when I arrive at the stadium, walking down to my seat. The green field is beautiful when my eyes first gaze upon it and of course, the crackling sound of those practice bats.

I was blessed to live near Candlestick - and ATT park for most of my life.  I always went to the games. Now, I live 200 miles to the north of San Francisco and I haven't been to a game since 2008. I always say I am going, but never get around to it. The husband is not a sports person. I mean, he'd go with me but it is more fun to go with a true blue fan. My sons used to take me to the game, every Mothers Day. I miss that.

Meanwhile, I am perfectly fine, sitting on a warm spring or summer (or fall) evening...on the patio, swatting bugs, watching the dog play - having a drink of whatever and listening to a good ole baseball game.

Goooooooooooo Giants.


10 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I was a huge Yankees fan. One of my fondest memories is attending a double header on July 4th and seeing Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra. Even though I lost interest in baseball over the years, it was an important part of my past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that would be awesome. I feel blessed to have seen Willie Mays several times. Truly the end of an era.

      Delete
  2. Dear Coffee Lady,
    Your blog title caught my eye on the big A-Z list. This is a charming piece about good old Candlestick Park. I was sorry to see it go. I grew up near SF and went to many Giants games, armed with Super Burritos from the cafe of that name, just outside the gate. I loved the crowd's energy, the playful organist, and relaxing in the sun while watching the Giants--who usually lost when I was there, alas. I hear they're doing quite well lately. Here in Tacoma, we have a minor-league team, the Rainiers, and pretty good hot-dogs, but I'm still a Giants fan at heart.
    @RhondaGilmour from
    Late Blooming Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I always welcome a fellow bay area blogger, even though you don't live there anymore. The new park is beautiful but yes, it was sad when they tore it down. Nothing lasts anymore.

      Delete
  3. Love baseball too! Especially when my son was younger and played in Little League and then Varsity in High School! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I enjoyed my sons sports and I swear the wooden bleacher seats are what caused my bad lower back! Oush!

      Delete
  4. Baseball a sport I sucked at when forced to play it at school, just saying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't very good at playing baseball either. Plus I was always last to be picked for a team! Thank God for spectator sports!

      Delete
  5. It's interesting to see the wife being the sports fan in the family! Very nice post.
    Calen~
    Impromptu Promptlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my Mom was cool back then.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts