Saturday, April 23, 2016

A flat screen TV

The television that refused to die 



We've been unplugged from cable for over three years. I was paying $175 a month for garbage. I also, got rid of the old 25 inch RCA console television set that was my mom and dad's. It needed a converter and I didn't want to spend $40 when I could use that for a new flat screen. So I gave it away for free. It still worked perfectly.

Time passed - and the husband and I got used to streaming netflix on our computer and laptop. Worked for us and we were not slaves to the cable company or to TV period. The only thing, I admit, I missed, was baseball and football games. Oh well, I lived.

We were blessed with a sizable tax refund and Saturday we went out and bought a 33 inch Samsung. We bought a antenna and the wall mount. The husband placed it in a corner. We did not want or NEED to go any larger. I don't care for that "Altar of Television" look, in my living room.

It's nice and bigger than the monitor of the desk top PC and laptop. But it won't change us. I still have it off during the day and only watch about an hour before I go to bed.

Finally we came out of the television dark ages -

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. We have a TV in practically every room. As long as I have my computer, I could probably do without any of them. I usually am knitting while watching, so it is basically background noise for me. My husband, on the other hand, loves his TV and keeps talking about getting a 52". Ridiculous! I could say at least we are in the same room at night "watching". But we have surround sound (also his idea) and we spend the night yelling across to each other "what did you say?" Again ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We totally cannot have a 52 inch - I won't give up that much wall space. Our smaller 33 inch is in a corner.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I broke away from cable a few years ago, but got it back when I moved and the "bundling" option was so good. Then I got married, and we recently broke away from cable, opting for streaming and a digital antenna for live shows/news. But my husband is a gamer, so the streaming providers - netflix, hulu, amazon... - go through his game console to the large TV. I think he'd like a larger screen, actually, for movies especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah a larger screen would be good for movies!

      Delete
  3. My livingroom TV is not digital so I can't use it for anything but the Roku. We had a converter box, but it died. If I want to watch TV, it is upstairs or my room. We have an antenna. It took quite a bit of convincing Honeyman to get rid of Directv and cable is not available here. But, now he is glad we did. He does miss sports stuff too, but not enough to justify paying over $100 a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cable has become just too expensive.

      Delete
  4. I've been thinking of cutting the cable chord. It really is crazy expensive and there are better options out there. Glad that it's worked out for you.

    @WeekendsinMaine
    Weekends in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  5. No explanation needed. You do it your way. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents have always had a tv and they constantly watch it, so it was a big change when I married my husband and he said he didn't want a landline or a tv. I wondered what we would do with our free time. Only … it's been 4 years and I don't recall having any free time. There is always something to do! A new recipe to try, traveling to do, a book to read, a game to play… And with the money we've been saving, we are able to pay down a little extra on our massive student loans. I've come to realize that owning a tv just isn't that important. The only thing I miss is being able to watch movies on a big screen tv on a comfy couch after a long week; now that is fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The picture of your console TV sure brought back memories! In some ways it was nice when the TV looked more like furniture... but flat screens are wonderful. The room where we have our TV is too small to have a huge screen... it would pull our eyes out if we tried.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts