Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Making Memories




So tomorrow is my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving. This year though, it will be a bit different. 3 family members will be working so we'll be having our family get together on Saturday. The husband and I will go have a Thanksgiving meal at the Veteran Home with my father-in-law who is 89. You never know, this could be his last.

So I made a big old lasagna for tomorrow night. All I have to do is pop it in the oven, add a salad and some garlic bread and we're good to go. Those who aren't here can reheat it once they get off work.

This morning, I got weepy - over my sister. It's dumb too, because since being grown-ups, I think maybe we spent one or two Thanksgivings together and that was back when we were younger. I don't have any recent memories of her and that is kinda sad. I do have some of when we were growing up and I do cherish those. 

Boy am I learning the hard way about making memories with those you love. Take pictures and try and get together every few years, just so you've got something recent to look back on. Oh and let people take pictures of you. It would be a shame for them, if they do not have any recent ones of you. If you hate your picture taken (like I do) try and get them with family members...that way you are not the only focus.

Yeah, the holidays are always filled with regrets - I wish I had not taken my family for granted - not that I ever intended to - and while I loved them and all, you just figure they will be around for a bit longer than they were. Dad died at age 76 and Mom died the next year at 74. My son died at age 25. My best friend died at age 49. and my sister died at 56.

I hope I take after my aunt Mae, who will be 97 in April. My goodness, when I start to feel sorry for myself, I think of her - who has outlived her parents and all of her siblings and her spouse.

Enjoy the day - and make memories. (and take lots of pictures)




5 comments:

  1. Holidays can be hard when we are missing someone we loved.I,too, have lost family. My younger brother at 61 and my older brother at 70 eight years ago. A year and a half ago my brother at 80.. I have one brother left, my baby brother. We were close at one time but not so much now. And a very close friend's funeral is this Saturday. She died after a brief illness. We just have to remember they would want us to be happy and remember the good times. Wishing you and your family a very happy, peaceful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do envy siblings who are close. I am the oldest of six. Five of us are left. One of the last times were all together was on a Christmas eve a couple of years before my mom passed away. I took a video of her telling a story, which had us all laughing hysterically. I uploaded it onto youtube. On the anniversary of her death (Nov. 24, six years ago) I post the link to the video on my Facebook page. It makes us all laugh and smile each and every time we watch it. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reminder to let people have pics taken regularly. I don't have a lot of pics of me at all. My hubby doesn't ever take pics, so there are very few! We do take regular family pics, though.. every Christmas, so at least I have that! Your thoughts on the importance of getting together regularly are so true. So important to make time for those we love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good reminder to take lots of pics when together with those we love. I don't take a lot of family pics (our family just isn't into hamming it up for the camera)r, but we do try to take a family photo every Christmas, so there's at least that! And I love looking back at those!
    So sorry you are feeling weepy. Tears are gifts, I've heard, and I believe it's true. Grieving is necessary and looks different for everyone and it is good to allow yourself to do that, in your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, my friend. Wishing you beautiful moments, treasured memories and all the blessings a heart can know... :

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts