Tuesday, September 01, 2015

My Father-in-law


His first day at the VA Home

My father-in-law had been feeling down - tried all the time, no energy and having some pain. One Sunday he spent all day in emergency. After all the tests they determined he was dehydrated and that is why his blood pressure was so low. So they hydrated him and I took him back to the VA Home. I even took him out to Burger King!

A week later (this past Sunday) we get a phone call at 3:30 am - he is in pain again and they are taking him to emergency. They had already ruled out that it was NOT his heart. I started just thinking, that he is 89 and maybe this is his time - the body just shutting down and not wanting to do what it is supposed to do. I admit, I was mad at him when he first got here but he has grown on me. They all love him at the VA Home. I would of been very sad, if we lost him. Just not ready for that yet.

So, they determined through even more tests, that he had a tear in his intestine which needed to be surgically repaired.

I am happy to report he is doing well - he's back to his old self and feels great. He has a few more days recouping in this hospital. I sure hope he stays well - this is his 4th time in the hospital this year!

Ohhhhhhhhh to be able to make it to 89!




10 comments:

  1. I wonder how he got a tear in his intestine. I'm not surprised about the dehydration. Older people often don't drink enough water. They need encouragement.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. He must have changed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No he hasn't changed. He can still be an old goat. But he is mellowing with age and grateful, I believe for all the wonderful help he is getting.

      Delete
  3. Thank God for modern medicine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - years ago, he would of died.

      Delete
  4. I hope that he is doing better. Four times in a year is a bit much but he is being taken care of. and that is good. God Bless him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the other 3 were minor compared to this.

      Delete
  5. Glad he's doing well. How fortunate to be 89 and still relatively healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he wasn't so overweight, he would probably be in better health. He is head-strong and has a will to live.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts