Sunday, August 02, 2015

You get what you pay for




Last night we went to the Dollar movies for our date night. We saw Night of the Museum -Secret of the Tomb. (5 thumbs down but the Husband liked it) We usually go to the first showing - now I know why. Less crowded and much cleaner. Don't these places hire janitors that work during the day or do they just let everything get dirty and hire them for after-hours? Since I have a mild "issue" with germs and bugs, I imagined all through the movie, that bugs were crawling on me. I kept scratching and itching. The husband said he wasn't bothered and that it was my imagination or dry skin. Came home, and still felt disgusting - went to bed and woke up with that same itching. I might have to take a benadryl and when I shower, right after I post this, I will slather my body with skin-so-soft.

I did some checking and found that movie theaters were one of the 10 places bed bugs are hiding. NOW I am totally grossed out. I plan to call the Theater later when they open. While I did not actually find them on me (It was dark) I do have little bumps. Fleas maybe???

Top ten places bed bugs are found

1. Public libraries - inside the books and in the carpet and cushions of chairs. Always check pages and spines of the books, before crawling into bed with that romantic novel.

2.  Retail stores - Brand new merchandise can have bedbugs! I did not know this. Trying on clothes, furniture - check for stains, and shake out clothing before bringing them home.

3.  Movie theaters - Cushy comfortable seats, with multiple bug infested hosts. Limit your personal belongings you bring with you or they will catch a ride home with you, which I did bring in my purse. Now I really feel itchy.

4.  Planes, Trains, Buses - Well Duh! Don't place your bags on your bed.

5.  Daycare's, Schools, Colleges - well there goes the schools. We used to have lice infestations when I was a kid in school. Never had them, but Mom would treat me anyway.

6.  Churches and Places of Worship - It's Sunday, so I'll throw in the churches, too. Same upholstered chairs with multiple bible thumping, holy rollers sitting in those seats. (Just kidding, my fellow Christians)

7.  Business offices - They travel in briefcases and clothing, packages and boxes, business suits and casual clothes.

8. Laundromats, The Dry Cleaners - I didn't know, but these little disgusting bugs like clean places too.

9.  Hospitals and Nursing Homes - Sick or old, these bugs don't know the difference. Apparently there have been cases where they have had to quarantine a patients room, due to bed bug infestation. I was happy to hear, they don't carry diseases. Just drive you nuts with the itching.

10.  Thrift stores and Garage Sales - Now this is rough for me. I love the thrift stores and 2nd hand shopping and it never occurred to me about this. Well I take that back - not all thrift stores are alike. Some you walk into and smell dust (you know me about dust smelling) and it just is old and musty. I avoid those places. I like clean thrift stores, but as I said earlier, they like clean places too.

So there you have it. Hot off the presses. Now go out and enjoy this Big beautiful world. Just be aware, there are bugs that want to go out and enjoy it with you.

Now, off to the shower....


10 comments:

  1. Was going to have a snack...lost my appetite.
    I saw some hissing roaches at the nature center recently.
    I don't think I've ever had a problem with bedbugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, did you REALLY need that snack??
      I've led a sheltered life. I've lost my innocence. Now I will be imaging that I am seeing them everywhere.

      Delete
  2. Good news, steam kills them. Also, run things through the dryer. I do this whenever we stay at hotels. In fact, I am doing it right now because we just got home from vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good! I have washed everything. I usually wash everything when I get home from vacation, clean or not. Never thought I had to do this, just by going to the movies.

      Delete
  3. I am still getting goose bumps after reading this post. We did go to the movies about a month ago. I hope that I did not bring any thing home cause I am itching a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear once you have a full infestation, they are hard to get rid of. Time to maybe do some deep cleaning. That is what I would do.

      Delete
  4. Ok I am now feeling like I have something crawling over my body this is your fault just so you know, I also never heard of bed bugs till a few years ago. I would be complaining to the theater but I am a big complainer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowledge is POWER. Go forth and KILL those bugs.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know anything about bed bugs but they are creepy and now I know more about how people come in contact with them and that I guess is a good thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a very good thing. I'm still itching.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts