Friday, July 31, 2015

So they hauled my little car away



It's been about 3 weeks since my car was deemed TOTALED by the insurance company and hauled away. 51,000 miles and ran perfect. What a waste. I detest waste. Everyone kept saying we should keep it but I don't know how to do that. Plus if the frame was cracked, it could crack more and be dangerous but deep down, I believe it had more to do with the cost of repair.

So they settled with us and gave us a high blue book and then some. HOWEVER it was still not enough. We could barely buy one just like it. and no two cars will be the same.




2 weeks ago, we decided to buy a 2nd car, previously owned, because THE BEAST is dripping oil and it's our only vehicle. I found a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan-Sport for $5400. It had 78,000 miles and looked like it had been hermetically sealed since 2001. It still had that new car smell. I love it. I love vans and trucks and SUV's because I can sit up tall. They are great for camping, and road trips, and taking the dog(s) with us. I am bored with little cars.

We still have half the money in savings. Looking now for a newer hatchback or smaller SUV - 4 banger that the Husband can take back and forth to work and we can take out for better gas mileage when going places without the dog.  

Meanwhile, the Beast is still running good, just has a oil leak. I think she has 178,000 miles on her.

6 comments:

  1. My car was going to be totaled out a few years ago, but Favorite Young Man talked the insurance company rep into giving his as much money as possible toward repairs. Then he fixed the car himself, with some assistance from the guys in the auto body shop where he works. Having a son who is a mechanic is one of the smartest things I've done. I'm not responsible for his decision to become a mechanic, of course, but I still like taking credit for him.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard it said, it was nice to have a doctor in the family - I think I would do best if I had a veterinary and a mechanic in the family...and maybe a dentist.

      Delete
  2. I like the new car. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love it. It drives like a new car.

      Delete
  3. How great that you have a new (used) car that smells like a new car, hope you have many good years with it, when the insurance company wrote off Tim's old van it was because the cost to repair it was too high

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was also the case. IT may or may not have had a bent frame. MOst likely it did since my husband was at a stand still when he was hit in the rear.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts