Tuesday, July 28, 2015

From one season to the next


http://www.planet-science.com/categories/under-11s/our-world/2010/09/four-seasons.aspx I can sense the change of seasons. I can't explain it. This morning, there is a bit of a chill in the air with quite a strong breeze. The leaves on the trees are rustling. Even with the daytime temps getting well into the 100's. Yeah it's only the end of July, but in a few weeks, it will be Autumn and I can tell nature is transitioning ever so slightly. I believe we will have a early Fall and Winter.

Maybe that is why I am nesting.

Experts are saying we might be in for one of the strongest El Nino's in a long time - since the early 90's. That means heavy wet rain for California. That is a mixed bag of blessings. After a few years of drought, we need rain, but not all at once. We're sure to see landslides, and flooding.

Our back yard tends to flood. We have a brand new sump pump on one side of the yard, and the Husband wants to get another one put in as well as some drainage pipes. We also are going to put rain barrels in and around the downspouts and gutters. Contrary to what social media rumor says, it is not illegal to keep your own rainwater in California. Next week, along with our next door neighbors, we will be putting up a new fence. The fence is totally dry rotted and leaning. We had one estimate and it was for $1900 but using nails instead of screws. The 2nd estimate was $100 less and they will be using screws. So they come out on August 4. It will be a mess that I am not looking forward to. I will feel so exposed and I like cozy and private.




4 comments:

  1. I think that saving rain water is a very natural and smart thing to do. It is not at all selfish. Instead of going in sewers rain water is being collected in barrel. Nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too and it can be used to water a garden next summer. It's not like we are going to drink it. Yuck!

      Delete
  2. I like the change in seasons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. It would be boring if it was the same all 12 months of the year.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts