Sunday, February 01, 2015

Coffee or GERD?




A most unfortunate thing has happened to me - I'm having a problem with gerd and coffee. I had a gerd attack, the last 4 days and it was so bad I was coughing up stomach acid. I've had this before so I knew what it was and how to treat it. Back to the medication to end this and 14 days giving up certain foods. I will then bring them back but a little at a time, to see what foods are my triggers. I already know, coffee is one of them. I've been in denial for a long time.

Confession: I still have a cup, but I put cinnamon in it and am making it weaker than I like and just having one cup. I try and have a banana before I drink. It's maddening for me. I never thought there would be anything that would make me give up coffee, but stomach acid is not a good thing. My gums were bleeding - I couldn't belch - I felt as if I was having a heart attack. Apple juice is very good. Not wild about it but it does sooth my tummy and I can burp.

For 14 days I am trying to lay off:

coffee,
milk,
chocolate
fried foods
cheese
tomatoes
tomato based sauces
onions
bell peppers
garlic
all citrus
eggs
ice cream

Now what the heck can I eat? I put garlic in just about everything. This is all the things I love. Not saying any one of these (except coffee) is my trigger, but I suspect, onions and bell peppers and spicy food. My poor esophagus needs to heal.

What is GERD?

4 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear this. But you are doing the best you can with giving up the food and taking the medicine. I hope it controls it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Taking it one day at a time

      Delete
  2. I suffer from GORD which is gastro-oesophageal reflux disease so pretty much the same thing just a different name, I take medication for it morning and night and still many nights I feel like I am going to throw up it makes me very nauseous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, I never heard of that, until I looked it up. Maybe you could give me some food tips. It sure does interfere with my love of good food.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts