Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Your morning cup with Frog




I sound like a frog this morning. I have this little cold - nothing big but just enough of it to be annoying. A bit achy and tired. I was wondering where the phrase, "having a frog in your throat" comes from. Of course, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet - I did find one source that said it is an old American phrase that started in the 19th century. Now there are those who say it comes from Medieval times, when people were thought to use frog secretions to clear up a sore throat. YUCK.

WHATEVER! All I know is I got that phrase from my folks.


6 comments:

  1. Ick on the frog secretions if that really did happen! Glad I live nowadays with other remedies to use when feeling sick. Hope you feel better soon; not fun to have a winter cold.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Now there are those who say it comes from Medieval times, when people were thought to use frog secretions to clear up a sore throat."


    OH.DEAR. GOD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cartoon had me laughing. Goodness, I hope people didn't actually use frog secretions back then. That's disgusting. It also seems that quite a few bloggers are coming down with colds this week... feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Secretions? What kind I wonder. Get Well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are feeling better soon and the frog jumps out of your throat

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts