Tuesday, January 13, 2015

No more office, no more desk



Last night was my last night being President of the VFW Ladies Auxiliary. No I wasn't kick out or forced out - No my term was not up. We voted to disband as an auxiliary, sadly because no one comes, or wants to do anything. Many of the officers quit and it was being run by myself, as President, Angela our Treasurer/Secretary and a Chaplain. The gal that took on 2 offices ended up being swamped in her personal life, and couldn't keep up with all the inspections and stuff we had to always do. I am proud of myself, for not taking on more - I just did my job as President - helped her out a little, on the secretarial work but the Treasury stuff, I did not want to touch. She is a bookkeeper so she at least knew what she was doing.

It made me mad last month, we had a meeting and the State and National officers came. When they heard we wanted to disband, they tried their best to talk us into keeping it going. But with what? We really only have 10 members who voted tonight. The rest, either have quit, didn't pay their dues, or are just flakes.

Angela and I have about the rest of this month to close this all down. We had about $1200.00 that we had to spend, or National would take it. So we picked 4 places to donate. The VA Home, The Veteran Services of Shasta County, Another Ladies Auxiliaries Cancer fund, and for the VFW Post, for Books for Veterans. That made me feel good. That at least we had some money to get rid of.

Last month for Christmas, we gave $100 to our local police and sheriff - a basket of fruit, and cookies. We adopted 2 returning veteran families and gave them each a gift card at $200. We also donated $200 to host the New Years Eve party at the VFW post.  (that we did not go to and everyone left at 7:30pm)

My work is done (or will be soon)  I did something, I never would of thought of doing...and enjoyed it, for the most part. I surprise myself sometime!

Now you do realize, I have to give back the keys, the security card - no more office, no more special place to go to...



10 comments:

  1. Good job. I've never been the president of anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a first time for everything.

      Delete
  2. I like that you were able to help out such deserving folks. That’s a good thing. I understand, though, why the group had to disband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the Veteran groups are struggling to keep going

      Delete
  3. Yeah these things happen and not much use trying to keep it going when there is only one or two people doing stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes and when I am one of those 2 people

      Delete
  4. you were anonymously quoted on this guys blog.

    http://humbleauthorbsp.blogspot.com/2015/01/insulting-broccoli-gods-and-other.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad that things didn't work out, but at least you were able to donate to a few good causes before everything was said and done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and that made me feel so good.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts