Sunday, December 07, 2014

no feet on the sofa



How you were raised sometimes comes back to haunt you. I remember my mom (and dad) would always tell us, to get our feet off the sofa. I had this on my list of things I was going to do, when I became a grown up with a sofa all my own.

Now, here I am - a grouchy old lady and it has become a pet peeve of mine. NO FEET ON MY SOFA. Okay, never-mind, that I have a old sofa with one of those stretch covers on it.  and Never mind, that I allowed my dogs to lay on the sofa. It's my sofa and my house and MY RULES.

I've trained my sons.  I also do not allow feet on the coffee table. However, Char doesn't get it. She has clammy feet that are soaking wet all the time. She also has athletes foot that she has pretty much all year. I have caught athletes foot before, by going barefoot on the same hardwood floor - when one of my nanny kids, had athletes foot and it was hard to get rid of. It is contagious.

So last night I had a babysitting gig, with my former nanny kids, and when I came home the husband and Char were watching a movie. And there she was - in all her glory. Clammy feet tucked into my sofa pillows - I immediately said something. She says what she always says, "I forgot."

I want to get a new sofa and carpet this year. I am trying to train her NOW. She doesn't get it. I know she probably has trashed the inside of the RV. I haven't been inside for months because I know it will make me sick.

Am I going to have to put up signs????? So right now, I have the cover off the sofa and in the wash. It's hard to wrestle with the sofa, to get that cover back on. Maybe I should have her, do it by herself as a way for that lesson to make an imprint on her. I don't know yet.

NOTE: Husband doesn't want to "hurt" her feelings, so he allows it, even though he too, does not like FEET ON THE SOFA. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr


6 comments:

  1. I don't allow shoes on the furniture, but I'm not worried about feet. However, I don't have clammy feet and athlete's feet, and I'm usually the only one here. Franklin can do whatever he wants, but won't. He won't get in bed with me. He won't sit in the chair next to me. He won't get on the couch in the family room. I urge him to make himself comfortable, but he seems happy on the floor. He does not have clammy paws.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was just my husband and I, it wouldn't be an issue. It's our stuff. I allow my pets up on the couch. Strange

      Delete
  2. Yeah, we had the same rules at my house. I'm not exactly sure why since my mom's sofa was covered completely in plastic throughout my entire childhood. It doesn't bother me as much with my daughters, but I am a firm believer in 'your house your rules.' That might be a good idea, though. If she struggles with putting that slipcover on, it might help her to keep her feet on the floor... good luck.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's funny about the plastic. I bet when they took off the plastic, the furniture looked great! I remember a neighbor who kept the plastic on the lamp shades.

      Delete
  3. Yeah this took me back to my grandparents who when they got a nice new white lounge was forever saying no feet on the lounge, you could, however, put your feet on the old lounge in the tv room that was ok just not the new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just how I was programed as a kid. Now it is coming back to haunt others...

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts